Monday, November 06, 2006

Weekend recap

Living in Minnesota when we get perfect days we bask in them from sun-up to sun set. Especially if they occur in fall or in spring. This weekend we were blessed with amazing weather. We played outside with the pups. We finished cleaning out the garage and got BOTH cars inside it. Yes, you read that correctly, my four car garage now has a boat and two cars in it. Exactly what we wanted to have fit in there when we built the thing. The fourth stall is taken up by our wood shop. (just like we planned). How exciting is that? To not have to stand out in the freezing cold weather to remove the three inches of ice from the windows. The garage paid for itself the first morning we weren't scraping.

And of course, like a good little Minnesotan I ran out to the grocery store and got the fix'ns for burgers. If it's unexpectedly warm - you have to grill. It's a state law or something.

I raked up more leaves. Cut down more old growth. - Filled up two more paper lawn bags as well as the garbage can. Oh, and poop scooped.

We ate our burgers outside. And I read some of my latest book out on the porch.

Sunday ended with a Simpson's marathon and then a brand new Midsomer Murders! In celebration of the new Treehouse of Horrors and the new mystery we made tater tot hotdish.
And between me and the hubster, Boy J and R, we polished off the whole casserole dish. The hubster completed the perfect television evening by making up a batch of cherio crispie treats. They just seem healthier than rice krispie treats.

While watching the Simpson's we were trying to figure out a voice. And so I googled the new episode. Well, the voice was Richard Lewis but what was interesting was the number of articles about the "Political message" in one of the little stories. And that only days away from elections they make a statement about "the occupation". If people haven't figured out by now that the Simpsons is one giant political undertone they aren't watching enough. Or those brain cells ain't rubbing together. Good lord, they cover everything. Heck, you name the controversy, there is an episode for it. I think the last one to garner so much media was the one about gay marriage. I think after just about every episode I try to remember to google the show to see who is crying in their milk over what was said.

"Save Me Jebus"
"Commander Coo-Coo Bananas"
"SSCCATAGAPP" (Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples And Teens And Gays Against Parasitic Parents)
All classic issues to come out of the Simpsons.
For more on these issues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_in_The_Simpsons - Politics and the Simpsons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_The_Simpsons - Religion and the Simpsons

Lastly, Lily got her first bath and she looks super cute all white and puffy.
She is also booked on a flight with me to San Diego to see my family next month.
We'll see how that goes. I am assuming she will make enough progress over the next month to go with me to see family. And I think Caleb is becoming so attached to Sophie that he will do okay with Lily gone for a few days. My Aunt would really like to see Sophie too but she is too big to go as carry on and I would hate to put her in the bagage compartment. So, it will be Lily this trip. My Aunt and Uncle are SO excited that I am bringing her. My aunt had a sheltie when she was growing up so she just loves that I have sheltie mixes.

Oh, and the other big puppy progress, Caleb jumped up and layed down right next to me on the couch and let me pet him for most of a show we were watching. This was the longest session with him yet............

5 comments:

Betty said...

It sounds as though you're making great progress with the pups.

Tink said...

I love the Simpsons subtle (not-so-subtle) way of getting into current political debates. Only the Simpsons could pull it off without being completely panned by those looking for something to be mad at. Who doesn't love them?

Kell said...

Sounds like a very successful weekend. And I keep making "aaaahhhh" noises with your update of the puppies.

Jay said...

I don't watch the Simpsons but I keep seeing artilces written by people bitching about something. So, I guess the show is still relevant. Soth Park loves to poke fun at people and situations too. But, they aren't so subtle about it.

Newt said...

Betty: our friends were over last night and they commented how far they have come already. It was good to hear since we don't see the "leaps" of progress like they can.

Tink: I'm sometimes surprised by the people that don't enjoy the Simpsons.

Kell: I do that alot when I watch them. Ahhhhhhhh

Jay: Of all the people in the blogoshpere I am TOTALLY surprised that you aren't a Simpson fan. From what I gather of your personality I would think you would be their number one devoted fan. They often drip with cynical sarcasm.