Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Half Days

The hubster and I took a half day off yesterday and we are doing so again today. We made the most of yesterday and the still “warm” weather we are enjoying here in MN. We hit up Target and bought way too much crap. Then he went and got his hair cut and I picked up a good 20 lb’s of puppy poop. We followed this up with some couple type activities (sorry TMI). Then we headed off to Ikea. Not to shop but for dinner – I was craving meatballs. It was a fun and tasty dinner. We go every so often, it’s cheap and it’s good. Then we curled up with the zoo and we watched Aeon Flux. I actually enjoyed this movie. I like Charlize Theron. It’s actually a film I wouldn’t mind adding to my collection. This isn’t a deep movie, it’s not thought provoking or anything, but I found it entertaining. When I make my beaded jewelry I like to either listen to the Ipod or put on a movie that I don’t need to pay much attention to. I just want to have something relatively entertaining going on in the background. Thus why I will watch Pirates, or Italian Job, 13th Warrior, MIB, or a variety of chick flicks over and over again while I make jewelry. For me it’s a complete relaxation package.

Today after we cut out of work we are going over to Bills Imported foods. This little greek grocery store is another good reason to live in MN. I’m hoping they have some of their herb flat bread. Can you say YUMMY! And of course we have to pick up some desserts baklava and such. Cheese, olives, the usual.

I also found out from my sister-in-law that she is baking not one but TWO of her chocolate pecan pies. It’s an orgasmic experience. And one that we look forward to all year. She is also making her baked cauliflower dish that it out of this world. The hubster and I will be bringing assorted cheese and crackers. We will get Feta from Bills and then probably pick up some other cheeses at Byerlys.

Byerly’s is an interesting shopping experience. They are the epitome of yuppiedom. Carpeted grocery stores that charge an arm and a leg for everything. Pretty much the only reason we go there is for their deli items. Their pasta salads and other deli items really are second to none. And they have an extensive selection of fine cheese. So when push comes to shove we put on our big kid panties and we go inside. If we get out without killing some yuppie parent whose child the world is supposed to worship than it’s been a good shopping day. You know the type I’m talking about. They have an SUV or three, they barely make their mortgage payment on their overly huge and ostentatious McMansion, and they had children strictly for appearances. They define the expression “keeping up with the Jones’s.

Aside from Bill’s I’m not sure what other kinds of trouble we will get into today. It’s supposed to be upwards of 60 degrees so we should probably take the pups for a walk or something noble like that.

Which brings me to my last and final thought for today. Please remind me in February when I am getting pissy and cranky about the long long winter that November was simply gorgeous and we got very very lucky with our weather.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Who knows? Maybe it will be warm and sunny in Feb too?

Have a great Thanksgiving Newt!

Oh and thanks for the header instructions. I'll have to work on that next week.

Tink said...

Half days rock... Not as much as whole days though. I'm not just looking forward to the food tomorrow :).

I loved Aeon Flux. I watched the cartoon on MTV when I was younger. Very bizarre concept. I hope your Thanksgiving goes well! If you have any leftovers of that pie, email me some.

graymama said...

I miss Bill's! That is where we always bought our bulk herbs, hibiscus tea, and ghee.

Do you think Byerly's is worse than Lund's?