Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sheltered

I've been reading a book called Monkey Hunting by Cristina Garcia. In the book she tells the story a Chinese man who left his home for a life in Cuba. He was lead to believe that he was going to Cuba on a "gilded" road that would lead to incredible riches only to find himself enslaved on a sugar plantation. The story covers about 100 years of his life and those of his descendants.

What struck me about this story, or I should say, what this story reminded me of is how incredibly sheltered and unbelievably fortunate I have been in my life.

I have never known hunger. I have never known the feel of a leather strap destroying the skin on my back. I have never had to sleep on a lice infested pallet. I have never been subjected to the hateful anger of a person that will punish me just for being alive. My feet were not bound to keep them small. Nor was I sold by my family when I was 5 so that they would be able to eat. My marriage was not arranged. I have never had to sell my body to survive. I have never had to go to war.

This is not the focus of the story by any means. It's more about the loves and lives that the main character and his subsequent generations experienced. But each generation seems to experience something that I have always been sheltered from.

Even when I look at the bad things in my life I also realize how incredibly lucky I was to be born in the time and place I was. I was born in a time of modern medicine in a modernized nation.

When I was younger I had burns on my ankle severe enough to require grafts. The injury could have been far more debilitating and maybe even deadly had I not been in a place with modern medicine.

Even more basic, I have required glasses since I was very young. Thankfully it was something that was easily fixed. But had I lived in another time, or in a less advanced civilization I may never have seen clearly my whole life. Even more, a few years ago I had Lasik surgery. Again, I am thankful for the technology, and for the job that allowed me to afford the surgery.

The fact that I am left handed. I come from a time when being a south paw was okay. Less than a generation before me a left handed child was looked upon as "defective" and in need of correction. My uncle spent his school years with his hand tied behind his back so that he had to learn to do everything "correctly".

How about my divorce? I live in a time when I am protected by laws. And I had family to help me through that horrible time. My ex couldn't "kill" me so that he could move on to his new twinkie. There was a time when a wife was property to be done with as the man pleased. Nor could he leave me empty handed and destitute. Laws protected me.

I have never had to see military tanks roll down my road. I have never had to fear bombings or air raids. I have never had to darken my house and hide in the basement. I have never been harassed by a soldier with a gun for being on the street.

I have also had the freedom to experience any and every religion available. I went to the Jewish Temple in broad day light. I didn't have to hide in someone's basement to practice my faith. I have been to a newborn Christian church in which people flailed on the ground and screamed in tongues. I have been to mass. I have been to a church that played their music with kazoos. Yes, you read that correctly, kazoos. I could go to a Muslim mosque tonight if I wanted to. Or to a Buddha temple if I so pleased. I could dance to the light of the full moon, or celebrate the rights of spring. And most importantly, I was able to be married legally outside of a church. I didn't have to be married by "God" for my relationship to be accepted.

Speaking of marriage, before I was married I live in a time and culture that allows me to live with my significant other in "sin" There are no ramifications for our choice.

Nor do we have to restrict the sexual relationship that we have. Our love has no limits and no boundaries. We will not be arrested or even executed for any of the acts between us.

And as I look into the eyes of my puppies while they chew on their bones I realize how perfectly lucky I am. And how sheltered, and how blessed my life really has been.

Oh, and as my computer just went into hibernation and I thought I just lost this entire post. I guess I should also be thankful for the technology I can enjoy today AND for the fact that I have electricity.

5 comments:

Kell said...

That was a wonderful post. Thanks for reminding all of us that we should be thankful for what we have.

Jay said...

You're right. We do tend to take so much for granted.

Tink said...

Well said! My Mom and I often get into discussions about how lucky we are... Especially as women in the era we live in. It's easy to take that all foregranted sometimes. Everyone should take the time to stop and "smell the roses."

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. We do take so much for granted.

Great post, You've given us all a lot to think about today.

Betty said...

You're so right. We have lots to be thankful for. And, we need to stay vigilant and protect all our freedoms.