Thursday, November 09, 2006

Saying Goodbye

To fall that is. Yesterday we hit 70! Wow and yippee! The best part of it was that it stayed that way late into the night. Ok, not all the way at 70 but warm none the less. The hubby and I spent what remained of daylight after we got home outside in our backyard. I read, he smoked his pipe, the dogs ran around, and the cats stalked a mole.

My stellar moment of grace came when I went to see where Socrates had wandered off to. The hubster was watering our trees (we haven’t had any rain in a couple of months) and so I leaned down by the pine tree looking for him. No Soc’s. Oh well. He’ll show up eventually. So I went back to my chair. I sat down and WHOA what’s this? My butt is totally wet. Oh man, did Lily pee on my chair? Sniff sniff – no, it’s not pee. Wait a minute………………go back to side of house where hose is………….Yep, small jet spray of water leaking out of faucet. RIGHT where my big ol’ butt was when I was looking for the cat……………grumble grumble………….go inside and change……..

After changing clothes, drying off my chair and reading another page or two I went in to quickly cook up dinner. Ate it while watching Dharma and Greg and then I grabbed my Ipod and the pups and went back out. I just couldn’t stay inside.

So, here’s me sitting in the dusky darkness. Singing quietly to myself. Dancing in my chair. This is why I want a privacy fence. It would have been the perfect night to have a moon dance. (I had even de-pooped the lawn so the whole yard could have been my dance floor). It was just a perfect night. Lightly cloudy. Big mostly full moon. Soft breeze.

What I listened to:
In the Waiting Line by Zero 7
How we Operate by Gomez
Secret Garden by Bruce Springsteen
You Dance by East Mountain South
The Border by Mr. Mister
Come on Closer by Jem
Let Go by Frou Frou
All Good Things by Nelly Furtado
New Slang by The Shins
They by Jem
This is a Rebel Song by Sinead O’Connor
Breathless by The Coors
One Thing by Finger Eleven
Burn by Alkeline Trio
Finishing with:
The Only Living Boy in New York by Simon and Garfunkel

Alas it got late and the pups were getting restless so I went inside. Knowing that more than likely this was the last hurrah for the season. It’s not a bad winter when we can go coatless into November.

So now I focus on the good things about winter:

1. Hot chocolate
2. Winter Solstice
3. Chocolate pecan pie
4. Going home to visit family
5. Chirstmas
6. New season of 24
7. New season of Stargate
8. Snuggling
9. A blanket of snow outside, a blanket of warmth inside and a good book
10. ice skating at lunch (my company sponsors a free rink in the middle of St. Paul)
11. taking the dogs to the skating rink and watching them slide all over
12. Fuzzy sweaters
13. Boots – boots – and more boots
14. shoveling snow – yes, I actually like it
15. walking in the snow hand in hand with hubster
16. Crystal clear star filled skies
17. Winter Carnival

43 days till Winter Solstice

***Newt note: I LOVE winter solstice because after this, the days get longer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I question your sanity when you say that you love shoveling snow, but I heatily agree with #'s 1, 2, 9 and 12.

Jay said...

I'm not a big fan of shoveling snow either. My back is even less of a fan of it.

But, I do love winter. I used to hate it but now I love it. Weird huh? I get the really good snow melt stuff at Home Depot and get rid of the snow on the sidewalks that way. It's supposed to be against the rules in my lease, but I do it anyway.

Newt said...

Mike and Jay: I should probably have stipulated that there can't be wind. But after the hubby got me this wonderful pair of down filled snow overalls (the down filling is also in the bib part (warm boobs) - I LOVE to be outside in the snow. I'm warm as toast and it's good exercise.

Jay - I discovered when I moved to Minnesota that I loved winter too. I hated it as a kid. And I think the reason is because as a kid you are forced to be in it more. As an adult you have more choices. So winter's are easier to take when they are on your terms.

Kell said...

Cool song list. I need to look up some of them on iTunes. I had to laugh at Breathless because I get teased for "that pop song" on my list. But I like it.

I love winter, too. We got to 80 the other day! Finally, it's going back to normal.

graymama said...

I love to shovel, too :-)