Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Hubster

The hubster knows I blog. He knows that I talk about our daily chaos and the like. He has never read my blog. I don’t think he really has any interest in doing so. But if we have a bizarre discussion he tends to start referring to himself in the third person as the hubster. He knows that the bizarre will get put into cyber space.

He surprised me last week with a very special gift. While I was out with the girls he took all the computers and hard drives we had in the house and went in search of something that went missing/lost 7 years ago. It was a copy of our wedding vows. The judge had liked them so much that he kept the copy we gave him at the ceremony. Apparently we weren’t smart enough to print off more. And then we forgot to print them off. And then we replaced the computer. So basically they got forgotten about. But it’s one of those things that has bugged me. And every once in a while we say that we will go in search of them. But then we get lazy and the vicious cycle begins again. But for whatever reason last week in went in search of them. And then emailed them to me. So that when I got into work on Friday I would have a very special surprise. And boy was I surprised. And then I read them, and then I cried. So here ya go folks. Our wedding vows:

[Introduction and greeting to guests]

We are gathered together to unite Hubster and Newt in marriage. This is but the outward sign of an inward union of hearts and, as such, marriage is the most tender of all relationships in life. What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined….to strengthen each other….to be at one with each other in silent unspeakable memories.

Each of you here has given something of yourself into their lives. Your love, guidance, and encouragement will forever be appreciated. Hubster and Newt are both thankful that you are here today in this celebration of their commitment to each other to live their lives as one.

[To the parents of bride:]

To Newt’s mother Hubster would like to say Thank you. Thank you for giving her life, for giving her beauty, for giving her the sweetness he adores, and for giving her the good sense to say Yes. And to you, her father, he promises to honor and protect her, though he will never replace you in her life or in her heart. And he shall love her for as long as they both shall live.

[To the parents of the groom:]

To Hubster’s mother Newt would like to promise you that she will love and protect him, this son, who is always a part of your heart, whose life is a part of your life. She will give him joy and trust, laughter and solace, compassion and strength. To you, his father, she would like to say thank you, for his wit, for his knowledge, and for teaching him the good sense to wait until the best came along.

[To the couple:]
Dear Hubster and Newt:
In being here today, you are performing an act of faith in each other, a faith which will grow, mature, and endure. Cherish and build on the hopes and dreams you now hold. Stand fast together in hope and confidence, believing in yourselves and in each other. You will create a union that will radiate between you, giving new hope, happiness, and strength to you and those around you. It is in the union of marriage that the little things are the big things. It is never being to old to hold hands. It is remembering to say “I LOVE YOU”. It is never going to sleep angry. It is at no time taking the other for granted.

The union of marriage is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing the world. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and a demonstration of gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding, and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful in life.

And it is in this spirit that I ask you to turn and face each other.

Hubster, do you take Newt to be your wedded wife, to share your life with her, and do you promise to love, honor, and cherish her for as long as you both shall live?
If yes say, “I Do”

Newt, do you take Hubster to be your wedded husband, to share your life with him, and do you promise to love, honor, and cherish him for as long as you both shall live?
If yes say, “I Do”

Repeat after me:

I, Hubster take you Newt to be my wife / and I commit my life to you / including all sorrows and joys / all hardships and triumphs / all the experiences of life / a commitment made in love / kept in faith / and lived in hope.

I, Newt take you Hubster to be my husband / and I commit my life to you / including all sorrows and joys / all hardships and triumphs / all the experiences of life / a commitment made in love / kept in faith / and lived in hope.

Now the exchange of rings:

Hubster, repeat after me:
This ring I give you / in token of my devotion and love / and with my heart / I pledge to you / all that I am. / With this ring I marry you / and join my life to yours.
Newt, repeat after me:
This ring I give you / in token of my devotion and love / and with my heart / I pledge to you / all that I am. / With this ring I marry you / and join my life to yours.

In view of the exchange of vows and rings by Hubster and Newt, in the presence of witnesses – and family and friends – I pronounce you Hubster and Newt to be husband and wife.

[Kiss and Applause]


Until tomorrow,
So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Very nice.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sweet thing to do. And the vows are quite lovely.

How strange that he doesn't read your blog. I would soooo have to know what you were saying! (but then I'm a snoop!)

Tink said...

Those are lovely Newt! I wish more people created their own. It would make the ceremony that much more meaningful.

Kell said...

What wonderful vows. And how sweet that he did found them. Sometimes they just blow us away, don't they?

My hubby doesn't read mine, either. Every now and then, but rarely ever.miata93

Anonymous said...

*wipes away tear* You could warn a girl that they'd be all perfect and stuff. ;)

B reads my blog. He's a "lurker", I guess 'cause he never comments (on the blog anyhow...he always has something to say in person about what I've written).

Again, lovely vows. Way to go, Hubster!

graymama said...

Beautiful!