Thursday, June 21, 2007

Suffering from OIS

AKA: Overactive Imagination Syndrome

Often times life for me is very similar to the NetFlix commercials. You know the ones with all the movie characters in period clothing running around the cities and into your living room.

Thanks to growing up in the non-technological age and having a total love for reading I have developed an over active imagination. Very over active. Bordering on “is this normal?” over active.

I will admit that many of the images I see originated in movies or television. So when I say non-technological age I am not talking about before electricity. I’m simply talking about before reality tv, U Tube, IM, and My Space took over people’s minds.

I can play out scenarios, see mythical creatures, knights on horseback, creatures sitting on signs practically every where I look. They just pop into my head. I don’t even consciously invite them.
For instance I can drive under a freeway sign and see a little goblin sitting on the top. I passed 10 other signs but for some reason I stuck a little creature on the top of this one.

Or I can look out at a beautiful field and imagine a horse and rider galloping across, white puffy poet shirt billowing in the wind.

I can also play out horrific scenarios in my little head. I can imagine my car careening off the bridge and into the Mississippi, or Godzilla suddenly coming up out of the river and starting to demolish portions of downtown.

I was sitting at a café last week with a friend and as some stranger walked by us I quickly rattled off an entire history for that person, why they were downtown and what they were going to do. She laughed at me and said that she wished she had my imagination. She said she could notice them, how they looked, what they were wearing, but she could never come up with an entire story for them so quickly.

How do you explain to someone that this is what you do ALL the time without sounding like you need to be in a straight jacket?

Or perhaps many of you are sizing me up for one right now…………..

8 comments:

Kell said...

It's a beautiful gift! It's great that you have such a wonderful imagination, not crazy.

BTW, loooooooove the new photo of GB. Food for thought, indeed

Jay said...

This is kind of funny, cause I just watched "A Beautiful Mind" tonight. Okay, so that wasn't imagination as he really was loony.

It would be really boring to not have any imagination at all.

Anonymous said...

Straightjackets are in fashion this year, I understand.

Tink said...

>>...Godzilla suddenly coming up out of the river and starting to demolish portions of downtown.<<

Omg. You and I, we're soul sisters. Just the other night I was staring at Hoop and I totally saw him turn into a zombie. Then I had a little day dream about what I would do if he did. It wasn't just an isolated incident either. I do it all the time.

WV: pigjamr. Wow. That sounds rather disgusting.

Anonymous said...

The imagination and the power of it are grossly underestimated in today's North American society.

We should not be sizing you up for a straight jacket but perhaps ordering them by the truckload for most of today's population. You know, those who are addicted to TV, youtube, IM and the like.

You and your imagination go, girl!!

graymama said...

When my niece was here, she and I chatted about how we both do this, too. Her stories tend to be a little more sugar as mine have lots of salt, but our minds are always creating. Maybe that's why my dreams are always intense and funky.

My sister is schizophrenic. Don't worry! No one will be taking you away like they did with her numerous times. Daydreaming is normal :-)

Anonymous said...

Fantasyland is a great place! I think more people would be able to let loose their immaginations if they didn't have so many ready-made things to stuff in them.

sardonicbomb said...

I don't think it's crazy at all, in fact, I can't imagine how boring it would be to live any other way!

xo-

Scott
www.sardonic-bomb.com