Monday, June 04, 2007

Preparing for company

Countdown has started. Mom and Dad arrive on Sunday the 10th. I can’t wait.
I’ve known the exact date and time since, oh, February. So why am I looking at a disaster of a home and only 6 days to fix the situation? I am QUEEN of the procrastinators.

Here is the good, the bad, and the downright ugly:

The Good:
Kitchen is clean
Dining room floor is clean
Unsorted mail piles are significantly reduced and hidden
New shower liners and curtain is hung
Blankets and couch cover are washed and ready
As are blankets to cover chairs in living room

The Bad:
Living Room is a disaster
Stairs are not vacuumed
Basement is not cleaned up enough for easy access to gym equipment
Refrigerator has not been cleaned out
Upstairs hall needs to be vacuumed
Second floor bookcase needs to be dusted (trust me this can’t be overlooked)
Dog kennel needs to be put in guest room
Linen drawers need to be temporarily emptied so guest have place to put clothes
Need to find a place to put linens
Bird cage needs to be cleaned out
Bird needs to be moved to different room

The downright Ugly:
Guest room is covered in hubsters clothing
You can’t even see the bed they are supposed to sleep in
Once found, guest bedroom floor needs to be vacuumed
Bathrooms need to be cleaned and sanitized

I have 6 days……………….



And now for some pic's of the yard:

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm in a similar cleaning boat, although we're not having company. I got three days off this week for some reason, and we're doing the trial week of not-buying-anything-but-essentials. To pass the time I decided to do some deep cleaning. Until I realize what all I have to do. This place is a filthy mess.

Jay said...

Oh heck. You're way ahead of where I'd be! LOL

Nettie said...

The good....why, with 4 dogs are the couch covers cleaned now? They will need it again on the 9th. The bad....throw a table clothe over the book shelf, stick a flower arrangement on top and call it a night stand. "Under the bed" rubbermaid will be fantastic for the linens. Hubbies clothes out the upstairs window. Swiffer the bath and spray freshener. Toss everything in the fridge and eat out! All done. Glad I could help, I'm here until Thursday if you need me. Then I'm outta here and you're on your own. That's what friends are for.

J said...

Anything that doesn't need to be fed or refrigerated can go into the "shop" area of the new garage. Ever seen those tubes that construction guys use when they are tossing old brick down from a second story window? Rig up the same thing for the Hubster's clothes: right into a big Rubbermaid trash can. He can sort them out later.

Tink said...

You're giving them the REAL experience. If they wanted neat-as-a-pin they'd stay at a hotel, right? LOVE the shot of the flamingo.

Betty said...

What are you doing, wasting time taking pictures outside? You only have 6 days! Nice pics, by the way.

Kell said...

I don't think they'd care if everything wasn't spit-spot. I like to clean before family comes over just so they'll be shocked that my house is actually clean. I like to keep people guessing.

J-Funk said...

You sound ...almost there... to me! Sometimes when we have guests we wear ourselves out before they even arrive from all the cleaning and organizing. But then after they leave we always take a moment to enjoy the "clean" version of our place until we tear it up again. Good lucK!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You've done more than I did when you visited me last year. I don't think mom n dad will mind if the place looks a li'l 'lived in' though.

They aren't visiting your house. They're visiting you and Michael.