Thursday, June 28, 2007

The ChampionsDorks of Kaposia

Last night the hubster and I decided to try out suck at the sport of disc golf. I had never heard of it till I moved to Minnesota. But basically it is golf with a frisbee rather than a ball and club. The above photo has been taken from a disc golf site, we aren't any where near this impressive.


We went to a park close by called Kaposia. You can see here what the course looks like.

It started easy enough. The first "hole" is right by the parking lot. And WAY off in the trees we could see the basket. The guys before us whipped their discs off into the air straight and steady and far. And two throws later their discs dropped into the basket.

Now the hubster and I were up. Following the guys before us I took a hop and flicked by disc with all my might. Up UP UP and away it went. Curving dramatically to the left and landing an impressive 300 10 feet in front of me. Now it was the hubsters turn. He took his hop and with his strong manly arms his disc went far and steady right into the tree in front of him.

And 5 throws later we were still trying to get close to the basket. But we laughed and galloped all the way.

The first 4 holes were fun and relatively "easy" for us. Grant you the par three holes took us more like 7-10 but whose counting?

And then for whatever crazy ass reason the path to the next hole went off into the woods. Of course we assumed rather naively that we would emerge out into another field of lovely grass. But we were wrong. The next few holes were deep in the woods with a simple winding hiking path between us and the basket. Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to throw a frisbee into the woods? I mean seriously? Will you look at this! Somewhere way past this photo is where the basket is. Who does this????

Well, the guys ahead of us whipped their discs straight and true into the air and damned if they didn't land 10 feet from the basket. (which keep in mind you can't see) And as the hubster whipped his disc deep into the overgrown woods I suddenly understood what "It's a good idea to post a spotter mid-way through several holes" meant. It also became clear why: 1. the discs are bright neon colors. and 2. why the people playing had bags full of discs.

So, several short and pathetic tosses later we emerged from the woods and found once again a grassy playing area with the basket at the end of the field. The hubster was up, he hopped, he whipped and then watched his disc fly high and wide over the field, over the fence, and on to the bank next to the freeway. It was our proudest moment.

Well, we gave up after 9 baskets. For one I was itchy from root'n around in the brush for my disc. Apparently there is poison som'n or rather growing out there. And we were a little exhausted from all the impressive pathetic disc flinging. All that extra disc searching sightseeing had tuckered us out.

But we had a blast and we plan to go back regularly this summer. It really was fun.

Oh, and AND we were trying to figure out where the next basket was and two guys resting on a bench kindly helped us out. They were both pretty cute but of course I was totally embarrassed since I was putting everyone to shame entertaining everyone with my stellar skills. Anyway, one of them asked me what my tattoo was of. I told them a phoenix. And the guy said it was really cool. So I got my first random public compliment.

To finish off the evening I got a call from the locals Shriners group. They asked me to be at their fund raiser for the hospital. This year they are not only having a classic car show but they are adding craft booths and they wanted 30 of the "best" local and willing crafters to participate. So August 5th I will be displaying my wares at the "Big Red Barn" in Cottage Grove. Come one Come all! It's going to be a fun time!

Have a great day!

TTFN

6 comments:

Jay said...

I played disc golf a couple of times. I sucked at it too. Our course wasn't in the woods, but did have out-of-bounds markers. That was pretty cruel. I really sucked at it too. I got to where I was taking really easy throws just to keep the disc straight. But I found the easier smoother my throwing motion the better I started throwing the thing.

I can just imagine the disc sailing over the fence and landing next to the freeway. Now that would be funny! LOL

J said...

Enough people lose their disks on that course that a couple of my nephews wander through there after hours looking for the lost ones. I think they have about 30 stored in their garage. On the plus side, I did get a brand new frisbee golf disk for my birthday.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't throw a disc to save my life. Can I join your team?? Sounds like you and The Hubster had a lot of fun and it was quality time spent together laughing. Can't beat that!

Kell said...

Considering that I'm the kind of sporty person who needs bumper gutters before bowling, it would just be dangerous to have me throw something on purpose. But it does sound like a lot of fun. As much fun as public humiliation can be, anyway. But it would be more fun with other people, definitely.

Nettie said...

Are you kidding me? Do you remember what town you live in? Now ask yourself again who would put a path right through the woods.

Tory said...

you are sooo funny. Love you!
Tory