Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Finding home

September 2007 marks a historic moment in my life. 9 years ago I moved to Minnesota. I did so on a wing and a prayer. I took a leap of faith and jumped with eyes wide open into a new life. A life with a wonderful man who made my heart sing and whose very voice left me with butterflies in my stomach. This is now the longest amount of time I have ever spent in one place. And for a girl with wanderlust in her heart it means a lot. It means I have established roots that I don't intend to pull up. It means that I have created a life I don't feel a need to walk away from. It means that I have found home.

As timing goes we were watching a movie a week or so ago and there was a song in it that made me sit up and take notice. It's called Find Yourself by Brad Paisley. And it speaks to my heart:

When you find yourself
In some far off place
And it causes you to rethink some things
You start to sense that slowly
You're becoming someone else
And then you find yourself
When you make new friends in a brand new town
And you start to think about settlin' down
The things that would have been lost on you
Are now clear as a bell
And you find yourself
Yeah that's when you find yourself
Where you go through life
So sure of where you’re headin'
And you wind up lost and it's
The best thing that could have happened
‘Cause sometimes when you lose your way it's really just as well
Because you find yourself
Yeah that’s when you find yourself
When you meet the one
That you've been waitin' for
And she's everything that you want and more
You look at her and you finally start to live for some one else
And then you find yourself
That’s when you find yourself
When we go through life
So sure of where we're headin
'And we wind up lost and it's
The best thing that could have happened
‘Cause sometimes when you lose your way it's really just as well
Because you find yourself
Yeah that's when you find yourself

So thank you to Mike and Heather for giving me the encouragement to make that leap, and Thank you to Jerry, Sean, Sarah, Fred, to Jes, to Girl J, and especially thank you to the hubster for helping me to find myself.

5 comments:

Kell said...

Thank goodness you took that leap! Congrats on your happy results of that leap.

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic!

I am very happy you found "home"!

J said...

We're glad you joined us too, Newt. The humor, intelligence, and sweetness level of Minnesota went up a notch the moment you stepped off the plane.

Betty said...

You're very lucky. I don't think I've ever truly found home.

Nettie said...

AAAAWWWWWW, shucks. I think we're helping each other and I am so very grateful for that. I'm glad he created the butterflies to get you here or I wouldn't have found such a wonderful friend. Even if you showed taught me to be a shoe addict!