Monday, August 07, 2006

Weekend in recap

Once in a while during our lives we come to a moment when we feel at peace with the world. A moment out of our daily lives that is filled with nothing but contentment. No worries, no distractions, no pending responsibilities, just a moment, to ourselves in which we are nothing but breath and life and stillness.

I had one of those moments Friday night while I waited for the pizza dude. I took my book and the pizza money and sat out on the front steps. The neighborhood was quiet and only the twittering of birds reached my ears. There were hundreds of little birds gathering around the houses near us. They were in our gardens, lawns, and hopping about the roofs. At one point a noise startled them and they all flew up to the roof of one house. I was just enamored with the sight. Those little tiny miracles of nature hopping around the roof happily chirping away. I forgot about reading for a while and just watched them. They were amazing.

Then my husband let Sophie outside to be with me. He said she was just sitting at the door anxiously awaiting me to come back. As she bounded down the steps happy to be with mom the pizza dude showed up. I looked up at my neighbors roof and all the little birds were gone. The moment was over and it was time to go inside, eat our dinner, and enjoy our evening.

**************************************
The wedding was wonderful. Very elegant, very extravagant. My friend looked genuinely happy and I wish him all the happiness in the world.

Gorgeous J was an usher at the wedding. He’s a very handsome man with eyes that can make you feel as if you are drowning if you look into them too long. He said I looked ravishing. Awww, wasn’t that sweet. Of course he also mentioned that there was a coat room we could go visit. Alas, the hubster was right behind us so I had to decline his offer.

All kidding aside here. It was fun to be at a formal event. It has been ages since I have been to an event in which everyone looked like a million bucks. We can’t even go to the symphony anymore with that expectation. You would think people would have the class to actually dress up for the symphony, and most do, but there are more than a few that show up in jeans and t-shirts.

We sat with a wonderful couple that had come out from Denver to be at the wedding. T&P were very nice and we found we had a lot in common. We were the same age, no kids, same interests when traveling. I knew they were a fellow soul couple when they asked if the Twin Cities had a botanical gardens type place. That is one of the first things hubster and I look for when we make plans in any given city we visit.

The hubster, now he looked ravishing. He bought a black sport coat and looked very handsome in it. As happens most days of our lives I fell in love with him all over again. That happens a lot to me. And I am so thankful for that. He is my best friend, my muse, my conscience, my critic, my coach, my lover, my life.

**************************************
Every Sunday I watch Midsomer Murders. And it makes me want to move to England.

I would love to live in a house like this

And bicycle around towns that looked like these

**************************************
Sophie got to see her buddy Shadow this morning. They really seem to like each other. We have to pry them away from one another in order to continue on our merry way.

**************************************
It’s coffee time. Talk to ya later kids.

3 comments:

Jay said...

One of my pet-peeves is how disrespectful people have gotten at "formal" events. Wearing not only jeans and t-shirts, but flip flops! Interrupting people and just being rude in general.

I love, LOVE the Midsomer Mysteries. I don't have digital cable so I don't get to watch the show, but I have a DVD set of some of the shows. Great stuff.

And I would love to live in the Cotswolds

Kell said...

When we went to England, we stayed in a cottage in Bourton-on-the-Hill. It was so wonderful. It wasn't a stand alone house, but it was atmospheric and wonderful, all the same. Plus, just down the street was a walking trail through pastures and hills to the next town. I can't wait to go back.

And itsn't it amazing how much adultery and murder goes on in those little Cotswold towns?!?

Newt said...

Jay and Kell,
The episode Sunday joked about the body count in those little hamlets.
And Jay you are right, and I forgot that a few of the younger girls wore flip flops to the wedding. It was a little tacky to say the least. So was their choice of dress (all flesh and tight tight spandex dresses) they looked silly. But then again if you shop in a juniors section you realize they have no choice. All the dresses look like little street walker atire.