Friday, August 25, 2006

Heart Attack on a stick - Here I come!

Minnesota state fair is now open

In honor of opening day it stormed. In fact about 40 miles south of the cities there was baseball size hail. One guy that drove in to downtown had both front and rear windows completely smashed in. He was driving when the storm hit. See pictures from around the cities here.
This doesn’t happen very often. We aren’t really part of tornado ally. Though every year there are twisters it’s not commonplace. When it comes to extreme acts of nature we actually fair fairly well.

Hail Minnesota style






















Uh, honey, put down the cheese curds and get into the basement.












Had I an automobile I would have skipped work and gone straight to the fair. No one goes when it rains.

2 days before we gorge!
Boy J, R, and myself will be heading out to the blessed event on Sunday morning. I can almost taste the artery clogging delights. I will be on the prowel for: corn fritters (I’ve never had them before), chocolate chip cookies on a stick, tater-tot hot dish on a stick, wild rice corn dogs, deep fried twinkies, fried cheese curds, and other yet to be determined delights. Now, keep in mind, we all share in the artery clogging delights so it’s not like I will personally consume all the above mentioned foods. It’s more of a sampling approach. And we walk A LOT! This helps to extend the snacking time.
It helps that some of the favorites are portable and can be taken home. Like the fresh salt water taffy.

5 days till my own private blog con! Road trip, good friends, shoes, musicals, dances, great little eatery’s. This is going to be so much fun!

Have a great weekend kids! I’ll see if I can get my hands on a digital camera so you can see what artery clogging fun looks like Minnesota style!

6 comments:

Jay said...

what a great time you are going to have! There is nothing more fun than food on a stick. I've never had chocolate chip cookies on a stick nor have I had deep tried twinkies. But, I have had aligator on a stick. Good stuff! LOL

Tink said...

I have never seen hail that big in my life! That's some scary stuff girl.

Have fun and eat plenty of goodies for me too. I'm just going to mope over here with my spoon and a tube of cookie dough. ;)

graymama said...

I am SO jealous! I must say though that since moving to WI, I find that the curds here are better. Next time we visit friends in Minneapolis, I should bring you some :-)

Your hail beats our hail any day!

BTW, thanks for the warm heart you gave me with yesterday's post :-)

Kell said...

I've been through a tornado and I've never seen hail that big. How scary.

Chocolate chip cookies on a stick? That's what's good about fairs--food on a stick. Walk and eat, walk and eat.

Anonymous said...

That's not hail. That's like Ice Meteors or something. Anywhoo, leave some arteries unclogged so we can clog them here. There's a haggis with your name on it and maybe some other interesting stuff. Can't wait till ya get here on Thursday.

Nettie said...

I was able to partake in a little artery clogging items myself today. Cheese curds, corn on the cob drenched in butter, twisted sister. YUM! Walking, walking and more walking is the only thing that will allow me to possibly fit in to my pants tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed and I will talk to you at the office.