Friday, June 30, 2006

What if..........

Today I have company at my house. My co-workers daughter is with me for the day. She is a very sweet, very quiet teenager. And she could be my daughter. (not in the literal sense) It's weird for me to think about this. And deep down, I feel a little regret. What would my life be like today if I had children? But I know myself and I know that what I like is the idea of children. I am way way way too selfish to be a good parent. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't take A anytime she wanted to come hang out here. She's a great kid and I would be proud as punch if she actually had been my baby girl. If she wants to we are going to go see a matinee. And I'll take her out for some lunch. If nothing else, I can live happily vicariously through my friends.

On a completely different note tonight I go with my German guests to the Twins game. It's against Milwaukee so it should be quite fun. I've never been to one before. And we are riding the light rail to get there. I haven't been on that before either. It's going to be an adventure.

As for the 4th weekend. No big plans. My main goal is to enjoy the weather and read a lot.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Twinkies! They've been on such a tear recently, they are one of the hottest tickets in town. You'll have fun, and the light rail is perfect for getting to and from the game easily.

Tink said...

I respect anyone who does that kind of soul searching before deciding to have kids. It's a full time job and a huge undertaking. Enjoy the temporary one you got today! And have a great weekend Newt.

Unknown said...

How was the game..I love baseball with a passion. Children are an entire life of dedication..and its great when people realize they aren't cut out for that and make a choice about having them. I respect individuals that are realistic enough to figure that out.

Besides..its not what its cracked up to be..being a parent. I used to make my girlfriend watch my son as a baby for an entire weekend every time she got all melancholy about having a baby..it cured her every time :p