Friday, June 16, 2006

Blending personality and social graces.

Someone once described my style as bright goth. No one I have discussed this with knows for sure exactly what that means but they agree that it is a fitting description of me. I dance to my own private tune in a colorful world. So of course when I have an upcoming event like this wedding I want to balance being me, and not being the freak show. Well last night while waiting for a friend of mine I sauntered into J Jill and fell in love with a skirt. But I felt that it was a little too casual, a little too bohemian for the wedding. So I dismissed it and went about my evening.

We (me and my good friend S) had dinner with the couple heading for matrimonial bliss and we asked them exactly what is expected at their wedding in terms of attire. My friend, the groom, said, we just wanted to make sure everyone knew to dress nice. The bride said, rather snidely, "Well it IS an evening wedding, at the Hyatt." So, jokingly I said "So, I guess that rules out a gypsy sort of look" and my friend the groom kinda laughed and said, well,,,,maybe. And the bride, again snidely said, "Uh, yes". Well, that just made up my mind. Off I went to get the skirt.

Yeah, I can be a petty biatch some times. Girlfriend J tells me I need to be a little less nice and a little more biatch. So, combine it all and that means that I now have to wear this skirt. There will be 300 some odd people there, it won’t really matter what I wear. And I will get to be 100% me. All bright, a little bohemian, a little gypsy, a little goth. And the snide little bride can kiss my chubby little behind. (I bet you didn’t know I could be like this) (Newt does have her moments)

So, I am now the proud owner of an amazing skirt. To top off the evening S and I went down to DSW to see if they had any shoes that would work. Of course they had the PERFECT pair. White satin sandals with embroidered flowers and vines across the toe strap. Absofuckinglutely perfect! I couldn’t have made shoes that matched better. And they were in the evening/wedding section. So they are very elegant and very dressy. And because the bright goth gods were helping me along, there were only three pairs left. What are the odds one would be in my size? 1 in 12? Or something like that? Well, they had an 11 – nope. A 10 – nope, and an 8 – probably. I wear a 7 ½ but tend to get an 8 in sandals so I don’t commit the sacrilege of toes off the front of the sandal crime. And not only did they fit beautifully they were comfortable.

So the Newtster is just about ready for this wedding. I have to find a top but that should be pretty easy. I can get something in pink, rose, lavender, or periwinkle. All flower colors in the skirt. We think a cami with sequence or lace and a sweater over top will be perfect. Whatever it will be I know it will be the easy part. I plan on making the necklace and earrings. I made a caterpillar bracelet in pastels a few years ago, I was wearing it last night and it looked pretty cute with the skirt.

UPDATE:
I just ordered these as possible tops both in the pink shade - if I go with the silk tank I will get a white shawl for over shoulders. If I go with the blouse I will get a embellished cami for underneath.

Have a good weekend everybody.

4 comments:

Tink said...

Good for you!! You know that bride and groom aren't going to remember one thing about their wedding but each other. I'm so glad you decided to go as yourself. And I think that skirt is lovely/perfect.

Trish said...

I see nothing wrong with the skirt either, and both blouses are cute.

Anonymous said...

I really want to see this outfit once it gets assembled.

And the freakin' Hyatt? Shit... what's this chick smoking? The Hyatt organization would (and has) host a High School Prom if they were paid enough money. I'd excuse them if the wedding was to be held at the secluded estate of the Bride's parents, but it's at a (non-landmark) hotel if I read you correctly. They;re gonna be mingling with tourists in shorts and t-shirts until they make it into the "Grand Ballroom" (one of many, of course).

You should go dressed as late 80's Stevie Nicks if you want. Men, alas, are more or less fucked in the wardrobe department since we're pretty much the frame to the picture. Hopefully Michael has a well-fitted suit and a notable necktie that matches your ensemble.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the wealthy can always get away with "bohemian."

Make no apologies for your dress and proceed to enjoy yourself. If the bride calls you on it, she's the one being rude.

While I'm here, can I make a small guess and assume that she's one of the big-ass-rock brigade you ranted about?