Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Piles of crap, high brow living, Gravitas, and slang becomes mainstream

Don’t you just love those days at work that start in the crapper? I’m going to assume that the rest of the day can only get better. Different priorities, senses of urgencies, etc. And today I seem to be just the middle man in the big old pile of crap. Everyone else is just circling on the side lines waiting for me to wade my way through. And in all reality I can’t do shit to help fix the problems. Argh!!!!!

I should have just let this get better and not blogged without a cool down period but then not ALL my blogs can be daisies and sunshine.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last night we got a wedding invitation for a friend of mines blessed event. Both families in the wedding are richer than god. So we knew this was going to be quite the how do you do. The invitation was freak’n huge but simple and tasteful. It was the fine print at the bottom of the invitation that got me though: black tie optional.

Okay, I am way way way way way too white trash for this. Can you hear the banjos?
Seriously folks, I do not clean up good. In fact I can’t even clean up. I’m a pink flamingo loving, dinner at the coffee table, beer drinking kind of girl. I am so NOT black tie optional. The fanciest thing I own is my wedding dress and we all know I can’t wear that!. I could look at this as the opportunity to get a pretty dress and even better, an opportunity to get me some shoes but does Target have anything that will pass as black tie optional?

The hubster and I are looking forward to this wedding. We know it will be like nothing we have ever experienced out here in the swamp. Going to the big city and all for a fancy dinner. (oh, man, I’m going to have to use a napkin!) (not to mention that I doubt they will have sporks next to the plate – what will I do with all those choices of forks and spoons??????)

I guess every wedding has to have a spectacle. I guess it’s an honor that I get to be the one at this wedding.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Yesterday I watched Mondays Colbert Report. It was his 100th show. And he had Stone Phillips on as his guest. Stone was the 1st guest so they asked him to be #100 and their first repeat. As with the first show they had a gravitas competition with the two of them having to read various headlines as only the best reporters can. And just like the first one it was hilarious and hella impressive. If you want to see it you can go to Comedy Central’s website. They have the Gravitas Off on video for you to watch. I would give you the link but it keeps erroring out on me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lastly, I was listening to MPR this morning and while talking about illegal immigrants and the construction industry the reporter used the term McMansion. This cracked me up. I guess I didn’t expect McMansion to become so mainstream. I wonder what McDonalds thinks of that?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

That’s all I have for this fine hump day. The good news is that the world didn’t end yesterday. No frogs fell from the sky. Hellfire and brimstone was kept to a minimum.
All in all I think we are pretty safe till 3006.

2 comments:

Trish said...

Don't worry. Just a simple black dress will be fine for black tie optional.

Anonymous said...

I think you'll do fine at that event Newt although I don't know where you buy simple black dresses.

McMansion - HA!I think I've heard this term before. I've heard the "Mc" prefix for quite a few things, but the only one I remember is McJob.