Monday, April 03, 2006

Hyper Scouts and sewing calamities - what I learned this weekend

Several of our Sea Scouts are also Boy Scouts. And one of them was working on his Eagle Scout badge. His project was to get a group together to paint a church school gym.
My hubby and I volunteered to help and we both had a great time. Nothing is more entertaining than two dozen boys ages 8-58 hyped up on sugar painting a gym. The sheer chaos that ensued was beyond description. I think I laughed the hardest though when my husband was helping one kid to paint over the basketball hoop. The young man had put a large piece of wood across the back supports of the hoop as a scaffold sort of set-up. He and my hubby (standing on scaffolding next to the hoop) managed to get the area painted.
So, on to the next section of wall. My hubby jumps down, and moves the scaffolding over so more of the monkeys could start painting the next section. Only he forgot the poor guy sitting on a piece of wood over the backboard. Now stranded he just quietly sat there. I almost peed my pants. Then of course did the “Uh, honey, I think you forgot something.” My hubby looks at me blankly and I point up at the backboard. The look on his face was precious. So also was the contraptions he and another gentleman devised to help the kid down. Cause to move the scaffolding back was apparently to unoriginal an idea.

Boys will always be boys no matter how old they get……………………..

The rest of Saturday was spent watching Neverwhere. The BBC did a 6 part version of the book by Neil Gaiman. Or it was a show first and book second. I don’t know for sure, but the two were identical. I love British T.V.

The day ended with a surprise visit from the in-laws. We went out for dinner and had a really nice time catching up. They had been down south in the warm weather for the past month.

Sunday was rainy and quiet. I made good headway in Kavalier and Clay. I really like the story. Also went to JoAnn’s to get fabric for some projects. I got the fake fur fabric a few weeks back for the animals and some blanket piping but the back of the fake fur is kinda nasty so instead of trim I got some baby flannel to sew as a back. Found a cute kitten print for the kitties and a “best Friends” print with a cat and dog snuggling for Sophie’s blanket. We are trying to get her to sleep at the end of the bed so we are hoping a special place for her will keep her there.

I also got “princess puppy” fabric to make Sophie a u-shaped pillow just like her daddies. She loves to sleep on it when we go up to bed. Since dad doesn’t come up for a few more hours she takes advantage of his absence. But then I have to hear “Hey, why did you give her MY pillow to sleep on?” So, now she has her very own. And she slept on it last night thank you very much! Despite the fact that mommy can't show the actual shape of a "U" to save her life. It's more in the shape of a "U" that maybe an out of control lawn mower driven by drunken gnomes might carve into the landscape. A distorted if you squint really hard sort of "U" shape.

Simpson’s was hilarious as usual. And they announced the release date of the rumored full feature Simpson’s film. Yippee!!!!!!

Lastly, Midsummer Murders was not on for whatever reason so we watched Poirot. Actually we didn’t have a choice in the matter. I love my Sunday night Biography mysteries.

No comments: