Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Token chick

Well, I had a pretty yellow flower from my yard to show you but it won't upload. Ah well. So much for happy yellow.

I spent the last two days at our other campus conducting a training class. I was the token female. I'm in one of the few remaining male heavy industries. Though I must say the girls that do work in the field get treated really well. Nothing gets a guy's respect like a woman with better power tools than anything they have ever dreamed of.

Ditto for working the heavy machinery. Which I get to do during class.

I don't always do a lot of talking during these sessions. There are 4 of us leading the class so I tend to take a back seat. But being the token female has some advantages. I think the mere fact that I am in the room and can actually run the machines gets me points. And I appreciate the fact that the attendees approach me for help. Thankfully they don't all see a girl and assume I don't know the subject we are teaching. And trust me, this industry can be a good ol' boys club depending on where they are from in the country and how old they are.

It was nice though that a bunch of the guys were bummed that I wasn't going to dinner with them. And trust me, I am no Cindy Crawford so they aren't asking me to go cause I got legs up to here......................In fact I'm short and stubby enough that you may not even notice I have legs.

Next month we have two sessions back to back. So four days of dazzling the boys with my super girlness :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work in a male dominated service industry as well and I have always found that while the men are nice to me, they tend to not look at me in the same way they would a man doing the same job. It drives me a little crazy sometimes. Sigh.
I'm glad things are going better for you and that you get to rock the power tools. How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

I bet it's the shoes...