Friday, March 31, 2006

My Forte'


Some people can sing, some dance, other’s can draw, write, garden, decorate, some people have style, and others have an electric personality. Some people have perfect make-up, great hair, beautiful nails, or a great body. Everyone has something.

Much to my husbands chagrin and to the detriment of our bank account my forte’ would appear to be shoes. Some time in my 30’s a gene I didn’t know existed within my cells turned itself on. Up until that time I could care less about clothes, shoes, style, etc. And I distinctly remember making fun of the girls in school that would stand in a circle and try on each others shoes. P-A-L-E-A-S-E! Back then, and for the most part now, I was never girly and I hated all things girly. But damn if that gene didn’t kick on and now I like floral prints, I care about my make-up, and I am addicted to shoes.

Now, I do a crappy job with the make-up and because our house is pretty much established in it’s disastrous and unfixable state I can’t go hog nuts on the florals. But what I can do is shoes.

And damn it, I do it well. Almost daily I get a comment in the elevator about my “great shoes” in fact yesterday a guy mentioned how cool the shoes I had on were. A guy! And that wasn’t the first time.

Now in my defense I am at least sensible enough to not spend a lot of cash on shoes. My average pair costs less than 20 bucks. And I have only spent over 30 on a pair maybe 5 times. And one of those was for my wedding. Also, I wear shoes until they fall apart. I am not one of those people that wears shoes for a season and tosses them. I have shoes back from the early 90’s that I still wear.

I like shoes with personality, color, pattern, or anything that sets them apart from the basic pump or sneaker. I don’t go for glitter, sequins, or gold lame’. I love high heels and strappy sandals.




Sure, it’s shallow and pretty pathetic but life is short – find your joys and run with it.
I have found mine: Hubby, puppies, kitties, reading, and……..shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, FYI... those strappy red heels? Those could be considered schnack =)