Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Electric Air


We have made it through February here in Minnesota without too many frozen noses or toeses.

And this morning I noticed something bright green peeking out from amongst the planters.

I must admit I giggled with glee.

One of the wonders of living up here is the appreciation we have for the basic fundamental workings of this great planet. Mother nature is worshipped here in the land of 10,000 lakes on a level probably not equaled in too many places.

Every season has its delights and wonders. But none compare to the first dawning’s of spring. We live for it, anxiously awaiting those first peekings of life reemerging. And as if a veil is lifted from before our eyes a certain energy, a crackling of expectation, begins to spread across the state.

We experience a high like no other. It is our much earned reward for the long sleepy winter.

Soon we can shed our sweaters and coats, throw on the grubbies and get our yards ready for the profusion of color, sights, and smells. Visions of columbine, daisies, lilies, and tomatoes dance in our heads.

And it is time to fall in love with Minnesota all over again…………………

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me. I need to start finding plants that don't mind living in swamps for my garden this year.

Anonymous said...

I have a plant that's starting to put up some bright red shoots in the garden by the back door. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the hell I planted there last fall. Could be a vegetable, could be a flower, could be poisonous and stinky.