Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Meat market finds and hell on Earth

You know you pick a good hotel when there is a Starbucks and a Barnes and Noble right next door. So, last night I decided to relax at ye old meat market for the intellect. I frankly couldn't believe the number of people at the coffee shop and B&N on a Tuesday night. I joke about it being a meat market, but dang if it ain't actually true. Scores of tightly jeaned, sort topped chicks, as well as scores of fubu clad boys with their baggy pants around their ankles. Okay, so it wasn't that bad, they are at the intellectual meat market. So,to be fair their pants were actually pulled up to mid crack. And hair colors tended to be in the normal range. But tons of people. I left there at 10 something and there were still a good 150 or so folks of all ages at the store or in line for coffee. Wow. And this B&N isn't in the most heavily residential area. Where do they come from??

Well, while I was there I scored the paperback of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. It won the Pulitzer Prize for literature 2005. So far so good, but I am only on page 10 and have quite a lot to go.

Today was a good work day, but I did discover the current location of hell. That would be the Denver International Airport Security gate. Not the one us normal sheep corral through on the way to a flight, no, I'm talking about the security gate that allows you to drive up onto the Airport grounds and meet with an employee there. Seriously, it took us an hour and a half to get our ID badges. And that was after we almost got backed into by the drunken corporate monkeys who couldn't find the rental car return. The old guy at the security gate had his head in their car explaining to them how to get to the rental car return, and swear to god the corporate howler monkey was driving in reverse backing up into our car with the guard still half in the driver window. And when my co-worker honked for him to stop backing up the guard actually pulled his head out of the other car and started yelling at us to back up too. It was very surreal. That is the best way I can describe this. Oh, and part of the problem with getting our ID badges was due to the chaos of getting all the people off the runway grounds that had come to the airport for a disaster/terrorism/alien invasion drill. They must have had every fire truck and ambulance within a 1,000 mile radius on the airport grounds. I didn't know there were that many ladder trucks in the country let alone in Denver. So again I can only describe the adventure today as surreal. Very very surreal.

And tomorrow I go home. I miss home. I miss my puppies. And I miss my love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll do Starbucks in a pinch, but generally I go to a local-owned coffe-house myself. Glad you're at least somewhat enjoying the trip now though.

Anonymous said...

How sad is it that I have a B&N right across the street from my new office but haven't had time to go visit it yet. The literary gods must be frowning.