Monday, March 27, 2006

Movies and Mayhem


My hubby and I went to two movies this weekend. Typically we don’t even go see one in a month so this was a rare event indeed.

First up: V for Vendetta
Excellent movie, this is a thinking man’s movie. I must say though that there was just enough action and explosions to keep even the simple minded engrossed. I went into the film anxious to see what the entire hubbub was about in regards to all the political messages within the movie. The movie does have some very strong messages but I don’t think it is directed only at the current administration. It is directed at any government that stops governing for the people and instead governs for personal financial gain and causes.
This is definitely a movie we will add to our DVD collection.


Next up: The Libertine
I went to see this because it was a Johnny Depp film. And he did not disappoint me. Excellent acting all around. John Malkovich was equally superb as randy King Charles.
And the rest of the cast also gets a hats off. Also, the way the film was shot was interesting, grainy textures, playing with focus, perspectives, and color. And the set design and costume’s were wonderful. I have not seen a better portrayal of old London in any film. Right down to the ankle deep mud and rats.

However, and this is a big however, this film was WAY too long. A better editing job would have improved this film immensely. There were several scenes that went no where, were not followed up on and therefore should have been cut. Trust me, there was at least 30 minutes too many in this film.

The movie started out promising, had some very humorous moments and the overall idea was good. But I have to say again, way way way too long! I have only walked out on one film my entire life and this almost became #2. But in reverence for the great Depp we stayed the course.



Lastly because of travel and company I have not seen 24 in a couple of weeks. Thankfully my husband recorded the episodes for me and last night I got caught up. And all I can say is OH MY! It wasn’t until several hours later that I actually got my jaw hinged back in place. I go back to my description of this show:
MENTAL AND VISUAL CRACK!
I have no other way to describe it. They hook you in the first hour and don’t let you go.
The action never stops and the twists and turns keep on coming. Oy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, would you say that "The Libertine" was a disappointment? R & I were still interested in seeing it, but not if its an overly drawn-out snoozer.

Newt said...

It's an overly drawn-out snoozer. Wait till DVD. You need to be able to take breaks during this film. It's an interesting film and if you appreciate filography and great acting you should see it, just know that it is a tad long.

Anonymous said...

I was already planning on catching a matinee of V for Vendetta tomorrow or Thursday, but thanks for the review. You're the first real live person I know who's seen it.