Friday, January 12, 2007

An unexpected morning

So, here’s me on the couch with a fabulous cup of coffee, a dog or three, and the last 40 or so pages of Live Bait to finish.

First of all let me say that this really is an exceptional mystery series. Take note dear fellow readers that P.J. Tracy is a fabulous author. It starts with Monkeewrench. Live Bait is #2. I already mentioned it was a good read. Book two is an equally wonderful delight.

So, back to this morning. I’m reading along quite happily assuming that the story is pretty much wrapping up. The killer will be caught and I’ll be on to the next book. But oh no, that can’t be how we start a Friday morning now can it. Lets just say the end of Live Bait had me sobbing. Not a whole lot of books have had the tears pouring down like Niagara Falls but dang if this wasn’t one of them. The whole time I’m thinking that it’s a good thing I haven’t jumped in the shower yet and gotten the make-up on or I’d be looking like hell for the rest of the day. After the main sob fest was through I went and got in the shower, got ready, made the hubsters sandwich and then curled back up on the couch to finish the last few pages. I just HAD to finish the last few pages. Then I noticed that the hubster was locking up the pups. I have like 4 pages to go and something huge was happening. No wrap up yet, that’s for damn sure. So I closed the book and pretty much twitched all the way to the car and then all the way to work. Seriously, I have got to finish this book.

At 6:20 I’m not sure I am all that prepared to have that many emotions running around in my head. And from a book no less. Sheesh. Far to early. That’s for sure. I mean, the sun isn’t even up yet and I’m an emotional wreck.

Now, flipping around to a different topic:

Last night I made a really good dinner. I cooked whole wheat noodles up. And in a skillet I browned a chicken breast. Tossed in a bowl full of broccoli florets and then sprinkled on a packet of Knorrs Pesto, added some olive oil, mixed it all up till it was hot and the broccoli and chicken were well coated, tossed the pasta into the mix. Put that in two bowls, sprinkled on parmesan cheese and presto – healthy tasty dinner. Very easy to make and it tasted great.

Flip again:

I bury my head in the sand when it comes to the news. I found that my blood pressure benefits from doing so. Unfortunately I have buried myself deep enough that I didn’t find out till this morning that the Republican Convention will be in the cities here in 2008. Both parties were negotiating with us but alas the evil ones signed first. And to top it off the thing will be three blocks from work. Oy vey. It’s appropriate though, the convention kicks off the same day as the state fair closes. Which really does mark it as the saddest day of the year. No more deep fried food on a stick, summer is over and the evil ones come to town. Sounds about right……………

Alright, alright, not everyone is evil…………….sheesh………….

Flip again:

My friend Other Girl J is coming over for breakfast tomorrow morning. She hasn’t seen Caleb and Lily since I think the week or two after we brought them home. I am anxious to hear her impression of their progress. It will be interesting. And she’s honest too so she’ll really tell me what she thinks. No sugar coating.

Final Flip:

24 starts this weekend. So happy!

10 comments:

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Hi there! Graymama sent me over to check out your blog and say hello - so, hello!

I am glad to know I'm not the only one that a mystery novel can make all emotionally kerflummoxed! I read one last year (one of Carole Nelson Douglas's Midnight Louie books)... I was so upset about the behaviour of two of the ongoing characters that I couldn't sleep. How sad is that! (I wound up writing the author the next day to say, "How could she! Can't you rein her in?!") I hope you get your book finished!!

Tink said...

Did you get to read the last few pages yet? I'm looking forward to getting some reading in this weekend, myself. Right now I'm at the part where Lin has left Karla and is working on illegal passports. I'm so ticked at him right now, I could spit. ;)

Hope your weekend goes well!

mike said...

Three blocks away? Man, you're gonna be heading in to work 2 hours early just to get through the crowds and security checkpoints.

Jay said...

I would start planning a vacation for the week of the Republican Convention. Hell, I'd recommend a vacation even if it was the Dems.

Speaking of the Dems they are going to Denver. Good move to go west and stop holding these things in the NE all the time.

But, I'm a little annoyed. Typical Dems took so long to decide that they gave the Twin Cities away to the Repubs. And that means that they have probably lost any chance at taking out Norm Coleman.

He'll get a lot of pub out of the convention to save his pathetic ass. GRRR.

Jay said...

Oh yeah, I meant to ad:

Every Pres election the stase of Minnesota and Wisconsin are harder and harder for the Dems to hold. Giving the convention away to the Repubs will hurt A LOT!

I know that Dem numbers are growing in the west, but not enough to make up for losing Miss or Wisconsin.

Ok. I'll stop ranting now.

Molly said...

Hi,
I think that this is my first visit. Your recipe sounds delicious.

I am sorry that evil is coming to your cities. Even though you are a self-proclaimed ostrich, you have probably heard evil about escalating the war in Iraq.

Trish said...

When the Southern Baptist Convention was in Houston, I volunteered at Planned Parenthood to help enforce the TRO they had against the protesters for harassing people going into the clinic. You can make yourself useful in those kinds of ways.

And I am literally panting because I'm so excited that 24 starts this weekend!

Newt said...

Welcome PeppyPilot. I finished the book at lunch with a bowl of wild rice soup. Both were fantastic.

Tink, I'm glad you are still enjoying Shantaram even if you are mad at him.

Mike, no shit. I can't freak'n wait. And let's not forget that I work for a corportion that if it was any more red they would shut down and send all of us to Iraq to get more oil for Bush's buddies. We'll probably have some of those butt heads sleeping in our conference rooms.

Jay, No kidding. I actually saw us referred to as purple. Up until recently we have been true blue. I have a theory as to why that is but I think I'll keep that to myself.

MJD, WELCOME! I have heard about the escalating. We pass the MPR news ticker on the way home. And it always has something on their about more dead, escalating violence, call for more troops, etc. And I read a few blogs that keep a runing count of the soldiers that have died in CooCoo Bananas war. And it makes me very very sad.

Trish, that is an excellent idea. I'll check with some of the local organizations and see if they are looking for extra volunteers during that time. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's gonna be crazy around there!

I keep hearing about how wonderful PJ Tracy is, I guess I better get myself a book or two...that's if the ice ever melts around here...

Trish said...

24: Damn, that was exciting, huh? I am already counting down to tomorrow.