Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Einstein's Theory

Albert Einstein said: “ Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.”

I was thinking about this quote last night when I was doing dishes. I looked at the mess in the kitchen and I looked at the clock. It was 8:45. And so I resigned myself to having to do some clean up. But I decided that I would only clean up as much as I could till 9. Then I would stop and actually try to relax a little. Well dang if I didn’t get EVERYTHING cleaned up in those 15 minutes. But my god did it seem like HOURS. So off I grumbled into the living room. See, in the morning I have two cups of coffee. The first one at about 6:30. I read my book, drink my coffee and keep an eye on the puppies. Then about 6:45 I get up, pour a second cup and sit back down to read a little. Knowing that at 7 I need to hop in the shower. That 15 minutes goes by so fast I don’t get to finish my coffee or get more than a sentence or two through my book. It’s certainly a VERY fast 15 minutes before I have to really start my day.

Sigh……………………

So anyway, this led to more thinking – always a scary thing. What else in life fits Einstein’s quote?

Short 15
Time it takes to get to freeway exit when we don’t need to get off
Long 15
Time it takes to get to same freeway exit when we need to get off and use the restroom

Short 15:
Time we wait in line when we are out for a leisurely shopping day
Long 15
Time we wait in line when we need to get tickets to a movie that is starting soon

Short 15:
Time it takes to walk to the bus stop on a beautiful spring day
Long 15
Time it takes to walk to the bus stop when it’s 15 below.

Short 15
Time it takes to get my cup of coffee at Starbucks at 3 in the afternoon
Long 15
Time it takes to get my cup of coffee at Starbucks at 6:15 in the morning

Short 15
Time it takes to get through lunch with friends
Long 15
Time it takes to get through a lunch meeting

Short 15
Time it takes to get to work
Long 15
Time it takes to get to Disneyland

Short 15
Time it takes for the casserole to cook when I’m not hungry
Long 15
Time it takes for the same casserole to cook when I’m famished

Short 15
Time it takes to get my hair cut
Long 15
Time it takes to get my teeth cleaned

Short 15
Time it takes to get a call back from the car repair shop telling me how broken my car is
Long 15
Time it takes to get a call back from the doctor with test results

Short 15
Time it takes a child to nap
Long 15
Time it takes a child to stop screaming

Short 15
Time it takes for a vacation to be over
Long 15
Time it takes a loved one to come home from a business trip

And last but not least

Short 15
Time it takes to read everyone’s blog for the day
Long 15
Time it takes anxiously awaiting for someone to post.

6 comments:

Jay said...

Short 15: The amount of time the snow actually stick around down here.

Long 15: The anticipation of the snow that is going to fall.

Tink said...

Those are great!!

Long 15: Time it takes to wake everyone on Christmas.
Short 15: Time it takes to unwrap all the presents.

Short 15: Time it takes to burn your favorite biscuits.
Long 15: Time it takes to boil a pot of water.

Nettie said...

This was great.

Short: The time spent south
Long: The time spent getting south

I know you know what I mean even if everyone else will think I'm nuts.

Anonymous said...

Short 15: time it takes the bus to arrive when you're running late.

Long 15: time it takes the bus to arrive when you're waiting for it when its 10 below zero.

Yes, it was a cold morning. :)

graymama said...

Short 15: Time it takes to put out Buddy's clothes and snow gear.

Long 15: Time it takes to put everything on Buddy.

Anonymous said...

These are great!

Short 15
Time it takes for a batch of cookies to disapear with a bunch of teens in the house.

Long 15
Time it takes for the next batch to come out of the oven