Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Perfect Day

Saturday was a perfect day in Newt land

It started with a great cup or three of Gevalia coffee. And some love and licks from the puppy parade.

Then it was off to meet girlfriends L and JJ for breakfast. L's husband cooked, he's a marvelous chef. We gabbed and giggled and just had a great time.

After that I ran home, grabbed a not too healthy hubster (he has a pinched nerve in his neck), and we went to a burger joint called the 5-8 Club in Minneapolis to meet bloggers Digital Janitor and Mpls Mel. Yes, that's right, Thanks to a suggestion from Digital Janitor to meet up, Newt starts to make a New Years Resolution actually come to fruition. And it was a very fun lunch. Even the miserable hubster managed to perk up a little bit. Anyway, DJ and Melba are an amazing couple. I was a little disappointed though when Melba confessed that she left her ax at home. Oh well. We all had Jucy Lucy's which are burgers that have cheese stuffed inside them rather than on top. They were super tasty. But I have to fess up: while I achieved the beginnings of one New Years resolution I slid on another one. I had a soda. One thing I have aspired to take out of my diet. Oh well.

So, hopefully this lunch was the first of many get togethers. I think all of us are hobby photographers so I can see us heading out on some weekend adventures. Como Zoo and Conservatory, Sculpture Gardens, Landscape Arboretum, Wine Tasting (I'm sure we could find something to photograph while we enjoy some fine wines).

Once we got back home I dropped off the hubster so he could take a nap (which tends to help his neck) and I went to Target to get a little grocery shopping done. I am not sure how it is in the rest of the country but up here in Minnesota going to Target is not just a thing to do, it's an adventure. And time warps in Target. I toodled around, checked out the clearance items around the store, picked up a few groceries, and next thing I know two hours are gone. I have NO idea how it happens but it does.

When I got back the hubster wasn't in a whole lot better shape so I figured I would leave again for a while so he could get more rest. Victoria's Secret was having their semi-annual sale so I figured what the hell, I'll go to the Mall of America.

Saturday nights at MOA seem different from any other night. The crowds are different, the energy is different, and the people watching is top notch. I wanted to grab a coffee, pull up a bench and just sit and watch the show. But there was lacy underwear to be bought so I had to skip the bench.

I finished my evening in Barnes and Noble because I had to grab the rest of the books by PJ Tracy. I can't get Monkeewrench out of my head. I picked up Live Bait and Dead Run. There is one more book but it is only in hardback right now. I think because my mother in law told me the books were exceptional I didn't give it a thought but reading reviews on the books there was the "natural" assumption that Monkeewrench was a fluke and any follow up books wouldn't be as good. Many reviews talk about the fact that book two was a wonderful surprise and book three "proved" that the authors had what it took to write a great series. Maybe I'm treading toward the cynical but is this assumption made because they are female authors (it's a mother daughter team) writing in the crime drama genre? I'm just curious. I don't think I see such pessimistic doubt when men write crime series. It's usually "So and So does it again" rather than "Holy Crap, it's actually a good book"

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there.

Finally when I arrived home I was pleasantly surprised to find our friends S and S sitting in the living room gabbing with a much happier and healthier hubster. We had a lovely evening. We don't get to see them all that often so it was a nice treat.

So there you have it. My perfect Saturday.

6 comments:

Jay said...

That was a pretty busy Saturday. Target can be time consuming. While their prices may be a bit higher than other palces, their clearance items are always great prices. I can't believe how cheap some of their stuff on clearance goes for.

Our Target ... well the one in Branson MO ... also has a Starbucks in it.

There used to be this burger dive in Branson in a building that got bulldozed about a year ago. They had 101 differnt burgers. One of them had the cheese inside the meat like the one you talked about.

I ordered it and it was HUGE. The recommended cutting the burger in half and warned that the cheese was hot. I cut the burger and cheese ran all over the plate like molten lava flowing from a volcano. It was kinda gross. But, the burger was yummy!

MplsMel said...

It was great to meet you guys too! I'll be sure to bring my axe with me next time.

BTW, I had heard rumblings that there was a decent wine vinyard in Hastings. Now you have me curious. I would love to check it out sometime.

Courtney said...

FYI: No matter where you live, Target trips are adventures. I do it here, I did in when I lived in Florida, my friends in Seattle do it. You lose time, you get groceries, you spend too much money.
I wrote a poem about Target, I love it so much.

-Courtney

Tink said...

Hubby gets hurt neck = Newt gets to go shopping... Coincidence? You're putting rocks underneath his side of the bed aren't you? ;)

Kell said...

That's great you met up with DJ and Mplsmel. That's awesome.

Sounds like a wonderful day.

graymama said...

Sounds like I should put down my knitting needles and give Monkeewrench a go. You sent me in the right direction with Possession. I like to support exceptional female writers, too.

Going to the Mega Mall is always great for people watching, and I think Target must gas people as they walk into the store because I always find myself getting lost in the flow and walk out 2 hours later.

I am glad to hear Hubster is feeling better :-) I was once studying to be a PT, so I have some neck pain remedies up my sleeve, if you ever need them.