Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Newt thoughts

A little nighttime Voyeurism

Last night as we were driving home I was looking out the car window and into the homes of the houses with their lights on and drapes open. I am fascinated by this.

When it’s dark out I find every home with soft lights glowing inside to be inviting. You don’t have the harsh reality of daylight but rather the soft and hidden secret of night. Add to that image the snow drifts and silence of winter and I get this overwhelming feeling of welcome, of home, safety, and warmth.

I marvel at light fixtures, furniture, pictures on the wall. What makes each home individual. What decorating taste a person has. How sparse or how cluttered. I find them all beautiful. I never once looked into a home and thought it was a dump. Or not cared for. Every home had something charming. Alluring.

I can’t remember once seeing a person in all that looking. Which probably added to the magic a little. The mystery. Who lives there. Are they happy? Young? Old? Do they have children? Are they making dinner? Watching tv? Knitting? Sewing? Carving? Are they talking to a loved one on the phone? Planning a trip? Making a cup of cocoa? The more I thought about it the more I realized that from the outside I could only imagine something wonderful, something relaxing, cozy, filled with love. I didn’t think about the fact that maybe someone’s marriage was ending. That maybe they were packing up the clothes of a spouse that had died. Or that they were looking at a photo of their child, a soldier, that was killed in the war.

From where I was looking life seemed perfect. I’m not even sure where I am going with this. It was just one of those thoughts on a quiet drive home.

And on a semi-related note:

One Safe Place
How many roads you’ve traveled
How many dreams you’ve chased
Across sand and sky and gravel
Looking for one safe place

Will you make a smoother landing
When you break your fall from grace
Into the arms of understanding
Looking for one safe place

Life is trial by fire
And love’s the sweetest taste
And I pray it lifts us higher
To one safe place

How many roads we’ve traveled
How many dreams we’ve chased
Across sand and sky and gravel
Looking for one safe place

So, this was the song on the little video clip I posted. It’s beautiful.

I guess I never thought about it all boiling down to “safe”

Safe in our marriage
Safe in our career
We want our children to be safe
Our pets
We want people to drive safely home
Fly safe
Travel and be safe.

When you boil it all down “safe” is a basic need. But it’s something I never really thought about before.
With the hubster, I feel safe. I feel like he loves me deeply and that there isn’t nor will there be another person.
And feeling safe in that love makes everything else in my life possible.

The other night when I came across that video I watched it mainly because it was a song I wasn’t familiar with by a musician I adored. Then when I watched the video montage that someone had put together of 24 it really struck a few chords. I think I was in tears by the time it was done. Not because it was 24. ( Though I must admit that Kiefer appears to be a most excellent kisser.) But rather because of what the song was saying.

My favorite moments in life have all centered around feeling incredibly loved and incredibly safe.

Safe in the arms of the hubster
Safe in my home with my kitty snuggled in my arms
When I watch my puppies sleep and I know that they finally feel safe.

So, I wish for you all One Safe Place………………..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...you nailed it. I don't know what more I can add.

Great post.

Kell said...

I agree with Ch3ll3. I don't have anything to add. It's just nice to read someone voicing thoughts I'm not sure how to.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything to add either. This was beautifully said. I'm very thankful to be well loved and safe.

Jay said...

We're all speachless. This was a beautiful post, I just can't come up with a comment worthy of it.

Tink said...

There's nothing I could say or add to such a perfect post. Just lovely Newt.