Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday Fluff

An odd and funny moment:
Alright, since we brought home Caleb and Lily I have mentioned almost every day the fact that Lily collects “babies” from all over the house and brings them to her bed. Well last night the hubster had me struck a little dumb:

Hubster:”Honey, why are my Sketchers sitting here?”
Newt: “Uh, cause Lily collected them.
Hubster: “She did?”
Newt: “Uh, yeah, like she collects everything else.”
Hubster: “Oh”
Newt: “Did you just refer to your shoes as Sketchers?”
Hubster: “Yeah, why?”
Newt: “Nothing, just making sure I heard you right.”

Why did I find this conversation odd you might ask? Ok, well obviously for one it “slipped” his mind that Lily collects stuff? And the majority of what she collects is HIS shoes. But that’s not what really struck me. What baffled me is that he referred to his shoes as Sketchers. The man doesn’t have a clue what label is on what item of clothing. He could care less about brand names. He has Reebok’s and Bass, and a number of other brands. So for him to refer to his brown boots as Sketchers really threw me. They are Sketchers so it’s not some funky new name for shoes in general. I was just a little taken back that he even knows who made his shoes.

On that same sort of note:
I spent a part of this morning putting “babies” around for Lily. I had gotten a whole bunch of tiny stuffed animals for Sophie since she likes to play with small toys. But of course now that I bought her a bag full she isn’t interested in them. So, now that we have Lily I thought it would be a good thing to pull them out of the bag and lay them around the house in spots where she always wants to pick something up. Such as the steps by the back door. Every time she comes in from outside she wants to take something back to her bed with her. Usually that is a shoe or glove. But since all the shoes and all the gloves are now on her bed she is looking for other things to bring back. This included some huge tie down straps that are in a bag on the kitchen floor. So I piled up babies by the back door and also by the hall closet where the hubster stock piles his shoes. No sooner did I do this then Caleb decided to run around the house and gather up all the babies I had left around for Lily. So now all the shoes, gloves, and babies are piled up on their bed. If nothing else, they keep me busy.

Catching up on 24
I finished disc 2, season 1 of 24 last night. The peanut gallery was on his computer in another room so I was able to finish the show without the running commentary of how much it sucks.

Craft show preparedness
I was able to leave work early yesterday so I went home and got everything ready for my craft show tomorrow. I have a pretty nice variety of stuff this year. I just hope it moves. I even decided to have some clearance items this year. Stuff that has been hanging around for the past couple of years and hasn’t sold. I eliminated the expensive ($25) hand made bracelets. I spend between 2 and 15 hours weaving bracelets that I think are beautiful and easily worth $25 but you would be amazed at how cheap people are when it comes to homemade items. To pat myself on the back here I think that the woven pieces I make are beautiful. I wouldn’t hesitate to pay $25 if I was on the other side of the craft table.

A Political observation from the Bat Cave:

I work for the classic corporation. Dark suit, white shirt, power tie. I stick out like the pink flamingo on the green lawn of life. And that’s ok. I won’t loose who I am in order to get an office with a door. I’m happy in my bat cave and enjoy the less than zero responsibility that I have. This is not a put down on myself. I have chosen to not be ambitious in my career. Sure there are directions I wouldn’t mind going in my career and I work toward those. But I won’t step on other people to get there. I won’t play the game. So, I guess since I am on the outside looking in I tend to notice things that the rest of the sheep just walk past.

Elections are only 3 weeks away and we host several debates/meet and greets with various candidates. The posters for the second event just went up and I now notice a trend between the two. Both the ass and the elephant are invited to speak. The poster tells us the names, the date of the event, and what food they are bribing us with. The poster also shows pictures of the candidates. I find it interesting that in both posters so far the Republican is wearing a blue suite, white dress shirt, and the proverbial red power tie while standing in front of Ol’ Glory. This of course is in severe contrast to the other side which in one case the Democrat has been pictured in a sweater against a plain tan background as if they had the portrait done at Sears, and in the other case the candidate is looking sideways with a background of blurry trees and some odd indiscernible thing behind her. The two pictures together have that Felix and Oscar sort of look. We have the proper GQ candidate that knows how to dress and we have the backyard photo of the slovenly other candidate. I mean, why be subtle? Why not just have one guy standing with his arms around US soldiers and have the other guy giving flying lessons to terrorists with a soldiers head swinging from the rear view mirror? I mean, at least that way, I know for sure what point you are trying to make.

Now I know that the Democrats prefer to be thought of as “the neighborly sort” and so pictures of them do tend to be more down to earth and approachable. And I am all for that. But put side by side, there is a remarkable contrast.

I am a proud liberal and have every intention of voting the way of the donkey. But I also understand all the complaints about the Democrats not having their crap together and being more unified. I also can see where fence sitting people would hesitate to vote for the democratic candidate because in this time of war (thanks entirely to our oil greedy Commander Coo Coo Bananas) there is a lack of faith in their ability to defend the country. Going strictly on photo impression (and you can’t argue that looks don’t matter) there is more safety and security conjured up by a person in a suit near the flag then there is in a guy that looks like an English Professor.

OK, this is WAY to heavy a topic for a Friday.

Winter Holiday of Your Choice Blog Extravaganza Gift Exchange Questionnaire Answers
Fill in the blanks:

If I could, I'd invent a bra with heater, and damn it, the world needs one because, headlights in winter, need I say more?

I sometimes buy sexy tops, because it is/they are more like theme I want to be than the me that I am.

If you came over to my house to play and touched my animal in a violent way I'd be a little bit mad at you forever. (Actually forever would only be as long as it took me kill you and dispose of your body.)

The color/s burnt orange/olive green makes me want to shave my eyeballs with acheese grater.
The color/s yellow, peach, and pink is/are so beautiful that when I see them, abeam of light comes down and I hear a choir sing.

Talk shows like Oprah and Jerry Springer makes me gag, feel it in my mouth for a minute, andthen swallow it back down rather than spit it out (or else I just don't likeit, but I'm too nice to say it.)

I might get sick or die if I touch or ingest seafood, or look at Paris Hilton..

Clowns and Mimes gives me the willies and I might need to consider afrontal lobotomy if I even think about it further.

I love the feel of flannel so much I want to hump it like a puppy ona sofa pillow.

No one should have to watch me eat sopapillas, because then I mightconsider being polite enough to share, and I don't want to share it.

I'm a grown-up now, so I don't have to eat brussel sprouts anymore, and you can't make me.

If I could invent a way to permanently coat my nostril hairs with this scent, I'd be my own biggest customer: Irish Spring Soap

Three things I like that anyone might like: Apple Pie, Reading, bike riding

Three things I like that nobody else in the world likes:Corned Beef Hash, Circus Peanuts (those orange marshmallow things), Macaroni and Cheese wth Brocoflower mixed in

I have TOO MANY/TOO MUCH OF beads, and not enough books.

Okay, we know the best things in life aren't things, but these are the best things in life if there are going to be best things: Well written books that move me to laughter and to tears.

When people have kind, sweet and nice things about me, they're usually talking about what a sucker I am. When they say I'm too sensitive, they're usually right too.

It's true, I'm a geek. I'm learning to be proud of it.

If I could have any talent in the world, I'd choose musical talent and use it to play the violin OR the piano . One or the other.

You are given a day and a no-limit credit card to spend in one of theseplaces, childfree. Choose one, or write your own: Barnes and Noble

If I could suggest that you read only one post from my archives, this one would be it:

And
If I were to name the Holiday of my choice for this exchange, it would be:Winter Solstice! This is the turning point of winter and the days only get longer after it.

7 comments:

Tink said...

Duff's new game is to see how quickly he can drag bugs (namely locusts and beetles) into the house before we catch him. Ick.

I would buy a heated bra! Seriously girl. That could be your get-rich-quick invention.

I love this line: "I stick out like the pink flamingo on the green lawn of life." Beautifully said.

Have a great weekend Newt!

Kell said...

This post was so much fun.

Has Lily had puppies? I had a friend with a spaniel that lost her puppies and was always bringing things (especially little stuffed animals) to her bed--kind of nesting.

A heated bra! That works on so many levels.

I loved the photos of your work, and really, really loved that drop with the green beads (jewelry12). And $25 is a great price for all the work those bracelets take.

Mmmmmmm, circus peanuts.

BTW, I may never forgive you and your dad for The Thirteenth Tale! I've been up past midnight every night this week. But now I'm almost done and I've slowed down because I don't want it to end. I'm going to email you when I'm done and we can talk about it.

J-Funk said...

That was an Excellent Friday Post!! I'm going to steal your Questionaire for my post and try for an Excellent Friday Post myself.

A few weeks ago, when you suggested doing the Friday Happy Dance one Friday morning, I did and it was great!

Jay said...

WOW that was a long post. I don't watch 24 because I know I would get hooked on it and for some reason I just don't want to get hooked on a tv show.

The reason the Republican is shown in front of the American flag is because they believe they OWN the flag.

Betty said...

Newt, have you noticed that the administration brags about preventing more terrorist attacks because Homeland Security has been able to catch people trying to get into the country? And, they can't even stop one illegal alien from coming across the border from Mexico. Funny how that works!

Kell said...

Update! It is now 1:45 in the morning and I have finished The Thirteenth Tale. I forgive you because it was worth the bags under my eyes. Now I just hope I can get to sleep instead of replaying the whole book in my head!

graymama said...

Hubby LOVES circus peanuts!