Friday, October 06, 2006

A Little Newt Story Part 3 - First date

When M set up his trip we made a pact. We said we would take his visit in 24 hour increments. And if things weren’t working out like we had hoped then we would agree to go our separate ways. After all, his best friend lived out there. If he and I didn’t have the spark we thought we had then he could still have a wonderful vacation with his very good friend.

The First 24

Anticipation is an interesting thing. I almost died from it while I waited for “M” to get off the plane. But then he did, and our eyes met. And the next thing I remember is a REALLY good kiss up against the newsstands.

Then we were off to the city. The plan was sightseeing, dinner, and then a leisurely drive back home. He asked me to make a detour through the Haight Ashbury area as a favor to his mom. He said his parents had stayed there on their honeymoon and his mom asked him to get a picture of a particular place she knew still existed. So I waited in the car while he ran off to take pictures. When he got back he said we were all set and grabbed his bag. “What” what are you doing? “ “Oh,” he said, “I just checked us into a bed and breakfast.” “What?” “Well, it’s over two hours to drive home and I just thought we could enjoy ourselves more if you didn’t have to make that long drive back.”

Now it was making sense why my roommate told me to grab a pair of jeans just in case it got cold. – SHE KNEW!

So we went up to our room. It was perfect. It even had the little fire escape balcony. From his backpack he pulled out everything I would need to stay overnight Including contact lens solution and case. Plus he had bought me a Minnesota t-shirt. And a box of Count Chocula. My favorite cereal. But not available in California for whatever reason.

Once we had our stuff situated we headed into the city. I planned dinner at a place called Calzones in North Beach. It’s one of my favorite restaurants in the city. They did not let me down. We had a marvelous dinner. We then walked across the street to an Italian coffee shop and bakery. While we were ordering the owner kept asking me “Is that guy bothering you?” “Cause if he is, I could knock him around for ya.” I assured him “that guy” wasn’t bothering me but I thanked him for looking out for me. We took our coffee’s and cookies outside to a table on the street. Once again the owner came out to check on me. “Is this guy bothering you?” It was the funniest, oddest thing. I think he did it a total of three times while we were there.

After our coffee I said good-bye to my Italian Guardian Angel and we walked back to my car. On a street corner there was a musician. He played something for us while we stood there waiting for the light to change. I think we danced a little bit.

Then it was back to the bed and breakfast for a good nights sleep. After a leisurely morning we headed for the coastal road that would take us home.

When we got back to my house we sat on the porch and talked. We agreed that things were going well enough to renew our 24 hour pact.

24’s after that

I can’t say that the remainder of the trip was as perfectly romantic as the first 24 hours. But each day we signed up for the next 24. We had dinner with the wedding couple, my roommate, and the grooms brother G. I think I actually had to work a day or so during his stay so he spent some time with best friend W and his new wife T. When it came time for him to go we knew only one thing. It really was love. What ever spark that had flown when we were in Vegas really was there. And it was strong, and deep, and right. We both new this was the start of something that had changed our lives.

Next up: Newt does to Minnesota

3 comments:

Jay said...

He even brought a box of Count Chocula? That's dude thought of everything!

Kell said...

Wow! Who knew contact lens solution could be so romantic? Thanks for sharing these, Newt; they're great.

Tink said...

I melted at "contact lense solution" and "Count Chocula." Oh yeah... and the surprise bed-n-breakfast was sweet too lol. I can't wait for the next post.