Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Random Newt

*Despite all the chain e-mail reminders, quotes, and songs I still forget sometimes to remember how precious life is and to focus on those things in my life. Visits with friends you miss dearly end way too quickly. And you just never know when a life will end. Maybe I should find a tattoo that will remind me daily where my focus should be. I get too swept up in things that in the end really don’t matter. Each time I am reminded I try very hard to make that my focus but then inevitably the daily hum drum of life creeps in and seems to capture too much of my attention.

*I think I have said this before but it sucks that we get to know most of our family when we are too young to appreciate them. And then by the time we are old enough to want to get to know them many are gone. I was thinking about my Uncle Mort in the shower today. I don’t know why. He died many years ago. He is buried in an old Jewish cemetery in New York. He was my favorite relative on my mom’s side. Probably because in his eyes I was perfect. While in everyone else’s eyes I was flawed, rebellious, bratty, and as one relative put it: not photogenic to the point where they won’t display my pictures. I think that was one of the most hurtful things anyone has ever told me. Who says that to a little girl??????????? Anyway, my Uncle was left handed and since I was too he just adored me. I was his left-handed monkey wrench and the only other one in the family that was right in the brain. He took us to Toys R Us every year for our birthday and let us pick out anything we wanted. I don’t remember many of those trips except the one when I picked out a little black baby doll. He never said anything to me about it. Of course when we got home and I proudly showed off my new baby I overheard “Why on earth would you let her have that thing?” I didn’t understand at the time what the big deal was. I still don’t. But now I understand how ugly that particular person was/is. Of course it’s the same person that told me that I was unattractive.

My uncle remained a bachelor his entire life. I guess now I would love to know why. I don’t care why he was or why he never fell in love. Or maybe he did but he could never tell the family about it. I just wish I could talk to him again. I wish he knew that he has lived on in my heart all these years. He was and always will be very dear to me. I miss him every day.

*When we were at the wedding reception the hubster and I were talking with a cousin of the groom. She’s a beautiful and sweet woman. She’s 25 and unlike her younger siblings she is still single. But she is fine with that. She’s still waiting for “the one”. Once again the hubster left me speechless. He said to her:

“I just want to tell you that you are smart to do that. There is such a thing as love at first sight and don’t let anyone tell you differently. If you meet someone and you don’t know after a month if you want to be with them the rest of your life they aren’t the one. When I met Becca I knew in an hour that I was going to spend the rest of my life with her.”

Yeah, that’s what he said. Knocks your socks off doesn’t it???? Sure did mine.

*I tried to watch the second disc of 24 from season one that had just come in the mail. I got through a little over 2 hours when the running commentary from the peanut gallery made it no longer enjoyable.

*I’m going to borrow the digital camera tonight so I can take pictures of the new kids. This morning my new little girl sat on my lap for a good ten minutes and just cuddled. It’s the longest session we have had yet!

*I had planned to make tacos for dinner tonight but I forgot to take the meat out. Dang!

*We got a hunk of the most excellent swiss cheese last week. One of the things I have not had in a long time was a slice of cheese with peanut butter on top. I forgot how really good that is.

*This coming weekend I have my first craft show. I had to skip the first one I signed up for because we had just brought the pups home and I had that bachelorette party to attend.
I’ll take some pic’s of my work and post those too.

*Last night I switched out my shoes. Sigh………………

*I can’t bring myself to switch the clothes yet.

*My dad just called to say hello. I love that so much.

*He wanted to know how Kell is enjoying The Thirteenth Tale. But Kell is out of town so I don’t know if I will find out for a while.

*Yes, I talk about my blog buddies to my dad.

*Reading Tink’s blog yesterday reminded me why I like her so much. We did the same exact thing when a little bird was trapped in a building. Well, except the hubster didn’t tell anyone that it had bird flu. I have pictures of our little rescue too. On my finger, on the ground. It was too funny to read her story about it. It was a big case of Déjà vu.
I would share pic’s but they are on the other computer.

*I’ve had three people come in to my bat cave as of late and tell me that they love it because it is so cozy and inviting.

I guess…………..I have papers and piles strewn all over the place. But whatever….

We’ll be moving three floors up early next year. I hope I can make a cozy cubicle up there too. I figure I spend enough time here I might as well love my surroundings. Dad mailed me a pink flamingo beanie baby. He sits on a water glass right next to my computer. He always makes me smile.

5 comments:

Tink said...

Aw Newt ((HUG)). I think being huge animal lovers makes us kindred spirits.

I can't believe someone would tell a little girl, you, that they weren't photogenic. What is wrong with people?! That's like when one of my family members told Big Bit he was "getting kinda fat." Pick on people your own size whydoncha?!

P.S. I think you're adorable in pictures. So hmph to them.

Jay said...

Hey Newt! I may be out of town, but I can't not check in on your blog! It just brightens my day.

I'm just wallowing in The Thirteenth Tale. What a beautiful atmosphere she has created--like I'm sitting listening to someone tell a gothic fairytale or something. I'm really enjoying it. I'm about a third of a way through. That's so sweet your dad asked.

That's very sweet of your hubby to say that. So there rude family memeber that doesn't know anything!

Jay said...

Hey Newt, That was Kell, not me. She commented using my name.

But I thought this was a great post too! haha

Tink said...

Oh sure Jay. Your secrets out now. You don't really have a sister do you?

LOL. JK JK

Newt said...

Tink: Thanks. I guess it holds true about not being able to pick your family. Oh well.

Kell: I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it. The book really does suck you up into it's atmosphere. It was sorta cool how I felt like I was sort of a fly on the wall during the story.

Jay: Looks like Tink has forced you out of the closet LOL.