Monday, October 30, 2006

A Separate Peace

Alright, so if I have any readers left after the booger blog below, here is a slightly less Icky post.

This was one of those weekends that didn’t go to fast. I had a craft show on Saturday (not very good sales wise but oh well) The hubster made us an early dinner of fried spaghetti. One of my favorite meals.

Sunday was a nice day. We took the pups for a walk. Well, we took three pups for a walk and one pup for a carry. Caleb was terrified to be outside. He walked a little but kept wanting to walk toward the main busy road by us. I carried him all the way down the alley and then we put him down when we got to the sidewalk and lawns. He seemed to like that more. And he walked pretty well back to our house. But he’s frightened by being outside as well as by us still so he spent a lot of time cowering.

Lily did better. We put Caleb in the house and then continued our walk with the other dogs. Lily walked several blocks with us and around the park. She seemed pretty happy and she was very curious about everything she saw. She did very very well.
Fortunately despite how traumatized Caleb appeared to be he bounced back pretty quick and was happy and playful when we got back home.

The hubster and I went to the hardware store and picked up the giant paper leaf bags. This was the first year we used them. THEY ROCK! Oh man, I will never ever ever use a plastic bag again. They hold more, they stay upright and they don’t poke through from sticks. Did I mention that they rock!

We also now have a garbage company that will pick up yard waste that is put in a garbage can. That also is WAY better than the plastic bag. I was able to get up a lot of the leaves in the backyard and it was so easy. I also managed to pick up a whole ton of poop that were hidden by leaves. Ooohhhh goodie!

I picked up two paper bags worth of leaves and dead brush from our front yard. Who the hell on HGTV said that an English Garden would be easier to maintain than a lawn. If I ever find out who put the idea in our head I’m gonna kill them. Our front yard is gorgeous but so so so much work.

So on top of discovering the wonder of the giant paper bag I also had my Ipod with me. I never had so much fun doing yard work.

While I was sitting in my yard cutting up some tall growing coreopsis (looks sort of like bamboo stalks and gets about 7 feet tall) the song “My Hometown” by Bruce Springsteen was playing. So there I was sitting in my front yard on a gorgeous fall day. A little girl was playing in the leaves down the street, a woman was out walking her dog, and an older gentleman was blowing leaves into piles. It was incredibly peaceful and while I was sitting there I realized that life, at least for that moment, was perfect.

5 comments:

Jay said...

When moments like that come along you really want to make them last.

I've never owned a home but for some reason I think doing yard work on a beautiful fall afternoon would be so much fun. I don't know why either.

The people who host most of the HGTV shows don't really know what they are talking about. They don't have to do any of the actual work.

Anonymous said...

You have painted a picture of a wonderful weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Tink said...

Out for walks already! You're making great headway with the pups. I don't miss raking leaves. My theory was, "They're just going to be back next year." My Mom wasn't amused.

Kell said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. It's just so nice when something as simple as a paper leaf bag makes our day.

graymama said...

I love those perfect moments :-)