Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A book Meme

The Great Book Meme – stolen from Tink

1) One book that changed your life: “Shantaram” – I’ve never read a book that moved me like this one did. I walked away a different person. We read book after book and some are ok, some are good and some are great. And some somehow stick with us the rest of our lives. They get under our skin and somehow they change us.

2) One book that you would read more than once: “The Great Gatsby” – I take away something different every time I read it.

3) One book you'd want on a deserted island: “In the Electric Mist with the Confederate Dead” – this is the book that started my love affair with James Lee Burke (in the favorite author sense). It is a beautiful piece of literature.

4) One book that made you laugh: “Last days of Summer” – no book has made me laugh harder than this one. And only a few books have made me cry more than this one.

5) One book that made you cry: “Shantaram” had a paragraph in it that was so achingly beautiful I cry when I re-read it.

6) One book you wish you'd written: “Harry Potter” – to make more money than God AND to piss off so many people, infuriate the religious nut balls, be selected for book burning and yet be the greatest work of children’s fiction in terms of the sheer number of kids that have read it, or who started their love of reading because of it – priceless.

7) One book you wish had never been written: "The Rules" by Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider, I TOTALLY have to agree with Tink on this one. What a complete load of crap.

8) One book you're currently reading: “Feast of Crows” by George R. R. Martin. Book four in a spectacular series.

9) One book you've been meaning to read: “Don Quixote”- There is so much “legend” behind this book. So many references to life and how we approach it. So many expressions and ideas that came from this book. I have to read it so that I can understand what it all means. “Chasing windmills” and all that………

5 comments:

Jay said...

I love reading everybody's answers to this meme. I also love the answer about Harry Potter. I wonder if any of those people who want that book banned mostly because of the fact that it is responsible for making their kid love reading. Cause reading leads to thinking for yourself. And those pople really hate that.

Newt said...

Jay, I am completely baffled by the fact that there are folks out there that don't want their kids to read those books. But I guess like so many other things in this world maybe I shouldn't understand their logic. I prefer thinking for myself and wandering out of the cave now and then. If I can understand them then frighteningly maybe I could be like them and I would never want that.

Thinking people unite. Cause I'm starting to fear we are a dying "race"

As my husband noted the other day - "Have you noticed that if a t.v. show required two brain cells to rub together it gets cancelled?"

Trish said...

I read the Great Gatsby in college, but don't remember that much about it. I should definitely read it again. I haven't read Feast of Crows, but it's on my list.

Tink said...

Great job on the Meme! I've been looking for a new book to pick up. I think you've convinced me that “Shantaram” should be my next great adventure. :)

Books are such wonderful treasures... I can't tell you the last time a TV show really impacted my life. I mean, I'm ADDICTED to Lost. But it's not going to change my life. :)

Newt said...

Trish - WELCOME BACK - I missed seeing you and reading your blog!

Scott and Tink - If you enjoy the book half as much as I did you are in for a treat. The author writes with a beautiful voice. And he talks about a world that I know very little about.