Thursday, March 15, 2007

You did NOT just do that

So, last weekend I went to the local little city zoo here with Ellie. And we stopped for lunch at the zoo’s café. It’s cafeteria style so you walk in, order what you want. The cook fry’s/cooks it up for you and then you go to the line for the register. So, I have my freshly cooked up pasta special all hot and ready to eat and I am standing in line.

Enter the crabby old lady with the walker. She ordered her soup and bread. And then got very upset over the fact that the café was out of trays. They were all being washed. It was just past the lunch rush on Saturday of the first “warm” day in the cities. So you can imagine how crazy busy the place was. Anyway, she looks at me and starts to put her stuff on the counter heading toward the register. She then snidely says to me: “Can I just put my things down here, I have a walker.” So I say of course, no problem. Don’t mind at all. But then she decides since it took her SO long to put her soup on the counter, and to actually maneuver herself and her walker around that this was her new place in line. And I’m thinking to myself: “She is not going to just stay there in line is she? I mean after the snide request to just put her things there so she didn’t have to carry it to the back of the line?, practically accusing me of getting upset about cutting in line before I even had the chance to get upset? She would never be so rude as to actually just cut in lie. Would she? Would she?

Well folks, of course she just took this new place in line. As my pasta grows colder. But, I figure, I’m gracious, ok, no big deal. It’s a beautiful day. I won’t let her ruin it for me.

And then she gets up to the cashier and starts yelling at the poor girl. First she wanted to know where the drinks were. The girl told her the fountains were on the other side of the counter. Then she wanted to know if they had diet pepsi. The girl told her no, they had diet coke. Then she yelled at the girl for not having diet pepsi. And after she yelled at the poor child she informed her that she had a walker and that the girl was just going to have to get her her drink for her and take it to her table. Thankfully at that very moment the daughter of the cranky old lady came up to this growing fiasco. And said “What are you doing? Why didn’t’ you wait for me so I could help you????” and the crabby ol’ lady said “I WAS HUNGRY!” So the daughter very kindly says that she will take care of the drink and get her mom’s stuff to the table.

So, her total was $4.86. And what did she do??? WHAT DID SHE DO???? Come on, you can guess this one folks, I know you can.

Start to write out a check painfully slow?

That would have been a good guess but it was even better.

She pulled out her change purse. One Quarter, One Nickel, One Dime, One Dime, One Quarter, Penny, Penny Penny – well you get the picture. She paid for the whole thing in small change. Which she insisted on counting THREE times to make sure she wasn’t paying a penny over. THREE TIMES

I was SO close to paying for her lunch you have no idea. Anything to get the line moving. But I also came to the great realization that what happened right in front of my eyes was what I like to refer to as BLOG FODDER! And so I stood there, happily typing away in my head. Thinking, wow, you can’t make this shit up.

By the time I actually got to the table to join Ellie my pasta was cold and congealed. But I was smiling and happy and of course as soon as I sat down I had to tell her excitedly about my blog fodder gift.

5 comments:

Betty said...

Funny experiences like that are great blog fodder. Thanks for the laugh. I know how steamed you must have been.

Jay said...

You had a great attitude about that. I usually stand there and do a slow burn waiting on them. But, I get over it and don't let it ruin my day usually.

Actually I usually get mad at emplyees of whatever place when this happens. They are the only ones who can do something to make the situation better. Sombody who works there could have come up and offered to help or opened another line or SOMETHING.

Anonymous said...

What a dreadful woman! I'm not sure what I would have done in a similar place. Probably what you did, but I would have had terrible fantasies.

Scott
www.sardonic-bomb.com

Courtney said...

Don't get me started on the woman with a walker who comes in to the coffeeshop. She drives a MANUAL transmission, lives on the second story of the apartment building behind us that has no elevator, and demands she be served wherever she goes (at the coffeeshop, at the Indian buffet down the street), making this huge production of slamming into people and chairs and shelves and practically falling over to make you feel bad. In fact, once she - very carefully, I saw it happen and it was totally staged - "fell" in our parking lot because the manager made her mad. Some people who've lived in the neighborhood for years say there's actually nothing wrong with her. She just likes to make people uncomfortable.

-Courtney

steve said...

I love blog fodder. I'll put up with some really annoying situations (usually at work) just for the opportunity to fully experience it and write about it later.

Is that masochistic?