Saturday, March 03, 2007

Reinventing Newt

Who is Newt? I have spent the past two years trying to figure that out. Or maybe I should say who is the blogger Newt?

Real Newt likes change. She likes to be creative. She likes to have fun. And that has always reflected in my blog. A different look every few weeks.

Newt in real life is a restless spirit. She can't sit in one place for very long. She fidgets. Her mind wanders. She's not very good at the concept of "focus" and with the number of rambling posts in my past that too is reflected in my blog.

Every so often though Newt finds something that sits just right in her life. Something that feels grounded and permanent. Something she can grasp on to when the restlessness consumes her. It can be as momentous as finding the Hubster and moving to Minnesota or as minor and mundane as finally figuring out the right look for her blog.

Sometimes that restlessness has unexpected effects. Such as not being able to really READ a book. And since reading is one of the places that Newt thinks of as a happy place it's a surprise and a little unnerving to have that security blanket in the wash so to speak.

Despite the 2 feet of snow on the ground spring is coming. And that opens up a whole other can of restlessness. An overwhelming urge to throw open the windows and let in fresh air. To see things green and growing burst forth from the yard.

To take the dogs for a walk. Or in Caleb's case, a pull.

So, today we unveil the new look. With hope that this one will stick. Maybe, like Google, there will be the occasional celebratory change. But for the most part it feels right, it feels grounded. It fits.

12 comments:

mike said...

I love the new look. I need to give mine a facelift too, but I've not found the motivation yet. Heck, it's been three years and I don't have an "about" page yet.

Betty said...

I love the new look, especially the more readable font size (old eyes can be weak eyes). Anyway, I see why you think it feels right.

Anonymous said...

This is totally my favorite look so far. I like that "don't mess with me" looking fairy(?) a lot. And the whole look is crisp and clean...yet not stark.

MplsMel said...

I also like the new look.

Keep the changes coming. I like the fact that the look of your blog changes every few weeks.

When are we getting together for another game of Apples to Apples? I need to hold on to my reign ;).

Anonymous said...

Having the look change is one thing I look forward to when I visit. It's refreshing and fun everytime! (especially when Johnny Depp is life-sized and wearing pirate garb...I digress...)

This look, though, I dig. Nice job!

Jay said...

I have to agree. I like this look too. And I too like the bigger font size. I keep having to increase font sizes on my iBook for some reason. But, this looks great. And the font color against the black background is great too.

Newt said...

Thanks Everyone! And for Michelle, I added a litle som'n for you on the page :-) - and Kell too of course.

Ellie said...

The new look is very fitting!

Anonymous said...

I noticed him right away! He doesn't have to stay long but leave him a week or so just for us, mmmkay? Thanks. ;)

Kell said...

The site is beautimus! I especially like the Johnny Depp addition. Mmmmm, yummy.

One of these days I'm going to change mine up, and add those wonderful headers you made for me.

graymama said...

I admire how well you can capture your spirit and represent it here. Your creativity is such a large part of who you are, so the ever changing blog template has been a joy to watch. This one is my favorite :-) And I thank you for the bigger font too, since my visually impaired eyes force me to go the way of bloglines, so I can read blogs. A little smidgen of Johnny Depp, doesn't hurt either!

Maybe one of these days, you could teach me how to change the house of graymama :-)

Tink said...

I LOVE the new look! The graphic is awesome. You know I'm a sucker for things with wings. ;)