Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ewwwww, Yuck, Icky

Sunday morning started out peacefully enough. A cup of coffee, a good book, a puppy on my lap.
And then………………..

Blurp!

Caleb throws up.

Given the excellence of the cuisine I had to quick clean it up while fending off three hungry lip smacking dogs who wanted nothing more than to gulp it down.

And what do I see??????

Yep, moving, squirming, curling up into a curlicue barf.

OH GROSS! YUCK! SQUEAL LIKE A GIRL – oh wait, I am one……….

Yes, boys and girls, you guessed it. WORMS!

My poor little man has worms.

Ok, we can handle this. We’re an adult. So we carefully clean up the pile and then place it in a ziplock bag. And then we wash the blanket. And then we pace around thinking YUCK YUCK YUCK.

Well, no more instances all of Sunday so first thing Monday morning I call the vet. And they will see him at 4. OK, that’s good.

Then, while he’s outside he oh so nicely poops for me. So I can collect that as well.

Go to work. Plead my case to leave early. And the hubby and I head home at 3.

Grab the little crate. Open the door: In he goes. And we’re off to the vet.

Arrive at the vet. They would like to weigh him.

Alright, we can do this. Come on boy. Come on. (pry dog out of kennel)

And oh goodie, since we got him he gained two pounds!

Next it’s into the exam room.

I didn’t want to put him back in the kennel only to have to pry him out again so I laid him against my chest. And he stayed there. Calm and terrified as can be.

Then the vet came in asking me his history – this was his first visit to our vet.

Uhhhhhhhhhh…………..

Shit………………

Call the hubby. Have him find the records. Put him on the phone with the vet and they chat dates and tests.

OK, one more reason a cell phone is handy.

And so now it’s time to put him on the table. And I do. And he lays there like a cute little terrified lump. He never moves.

Examine Examine Examine

And every once in a while my terrified little man wags his tail. Not a lot. But just a little. And it made me feel SO good.

Alright, so, the poop test and barf analysis tell the vet that his case of worms is light. No huge infestation. Easy to get rid of.

So, he gets a gulp of vanilla flavored worm medicine. And in two weeks he gets a heartguard.

That’s it. Nothing to it.

And off we head for home.

And I let him out. And he scampers to the back door tail wagging. HOT DAMN the tail is wagging.

And he runs right inside. Tail still wagging.

Ok, the true test:

He bypasses his kennel and runs straight for the couch! This is SO cool. His tail is still wagging. He isn’t hiding in his kennel.

And so I sit down on the couch. And he comes over for pets.

And mom sits back relieved. Her little boy is going to be ok. And we are not back to square one with his trust and fear issues. Life is good.

7 comments:

J said...

So glad he's going to be ok. I was afraid they were going to find something really bad when they examined him. Do you need to have the other puppies checked out too? Are worms "contagious"?

Jay said...

Well the frist part of that was like EWWWWWWWWWWW

But the second part was all like AWWWWWWWWWWWW

Tink said...

LMAO @ Jay.

I don't know if I can describe it any better than that!

Yay for big little victories. Congrats girl.

steve said...

Progress! Most excellent.

Anonymous said...

Jay's so funny!

All I can say is W-H-E-W!!!

Coffespaz said...

So sweet!! Its nice when they come back to you after that first (second, third...) terrifying visit to the doctor isn't it. We decided to start taking our kitty for a ride in the car once a week so he doesn't think the only time he goes in the carrier is to go to the mean doctor-lady. Glad Caleb is okay!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! I'm so glad your baby is learning to trust again. You are such a good mama.