Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Through a Glass Darkly

I've always loved that: "Through a glass darkly" I'm not sure why. I read a book by that title and I've noticed it used in novels as an expression. Like this one from a Laurell K. Hamilton book:

•I guess I don’t entirely trust God. I never doubt him, but his motives are too beyond me. Through a glass darkly and all that. Just once I’d like to see through the damn glass clearly.

Sometimes it does feel like life is seen "through a glass darkly". Where for no particular reason there is uncertainty, a strong sense of the unknown. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. But some times its as if I am seeing my life from outside myself. An observer. And it all seems very strange and disconnected.

I'm really hoping at this point someone out there says "Yeah, I know that feeling" even if you haven't - lie to me :-)

It's as if I have lost a sense of focus. Not in a bad, depressed, crying all the time sort of way. I don't really know how to describe it. I just feel disconnected. And the days seem to melt into one another.

Perhaps it is the quiet routine of life. Perhaps it is lack of sunshine and fresh air. Maybe this bear is ready to come out of hibernation and is feeling restless. Maybe I'm just done with winter and I want all the life and light that spring will bring.

Perhaps, I need to clean the windows of my house and then they won't seem so....darkly

9 comments:

Ellie said...

I know exactly how you feel...and no I am not lying, you know I never would.

Jay said...

I think it probably has a lot to do with being ready for spring to come. Ready to get out and do things in the sun and the warmth.

Kell said...

Disconnected is a good way to describe it. You're right, it could be a desire for spring and everything that comes with it. But many of us go through these phases, so you're not alone!

Tink said...

Girl... My glass isn't just dark, there are creepy glowing eyes staring back from the other side. *Sigh* Let's hope this lack of direction (for everyone) is just the lull before the Spring.

Betty said...

I fell that way right now, but it's because Kell left for Scotland today, and we won't "reconnect" until she gets back. It's going to be a long 10 days.

steve said...

At times, my glass is downright opaque. I'll be walking and I can't even feel my feet.

So.. yeah.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how to fix this funk. You need to go shoe shopping! Shopping for fun and kicky spring shoes!

Chin up, Newtinski. Spring is coming. Honest.

BTW - No lie. I know what you're talking about.

Shoes! New shoes are the key!!

mike said...

Heck, I know that my life is mostly a series of random disconnected events--most of them good. There was no logical reason for our becoming friends but who am I to argue about a good thing?

The whole thing just makes me wonder what I'm going to stumble into next.

Abbee Normalle said...

Yep, I too go thru these dark spells. I think weather has a lot to do with it. The last couple days the sun has been out and I just let the sun soak in and started to feel like a flower opening up.