Monday, October 22, 2007

I'd be a nomad

I'd be a nomad in a second if I could. We talk about the progress and advancement of man but this morning, driving through rush hour traffic to get an oil change (don't ask) I thought about just how advanced man has become.

We work 40-80 hours per week. We spend our free time cleaning big houses full of stuff that we really don't need. We mow lawns, patch holes, paint decaying siding. We rake leaves. Then we sleep a few hours and start the whole process again. Week by week.

I think the industrial revolution might have just been our biggest mistake. And I sometimes envy the lifestyle of the plains Indians, the nomadic desert tribes, and the rural tribes of Africa.

Ok, so our life span is longer. But, if you think about it so what. We spend the vast majority of it working. Take out the years of your life that you toil just to pay the bills and you get back to the life expectancy of ancient man.

Perhaps living in a cave, keeping the home fires burning and dressing a deer for winter weren't all that bad a way of life.

What is it all for? Ok, yes, I like my warm cozy house. I like having electricity, heating, running water and a toilet. But, if I didn't know any better would I really care?

Setting up our tepee for the summer then pulling it all up and heading south to the warmer winter camps doesn't sound like such a bad life.

30 years of quiet peaceful nomadic living in a small village or 70 years of the rat race. Both have their good and bad but right now, the simple life seems really appealing to me.

I think the majority of this stems from the fact that I have to clean the house and it is full of crap we really don't need or use. Grrrrr. I guess since I am stuck in this time and space the best thing I can do is start pitching the shit out of my life. I mean, I really need to adopt the theory that if you haven't used it in months throw it out. Unfortunately at this point I have 30 years of that to get rid of. Sigh....................

On another note, (and a little ironic from the above rant) please think good thoughts for my parents. They were evacuated from their home in San Diego this morning. And left with their dog and the clothes on their back. Plus, as mom said, a change of underwear. The important thing is that they are together, all three of them. But I hope for their sake that they have something to come home to. The only positive thing I can think of is that if they loose their home they have NO excuse not to move to Minnesota anymore.

Today I am planning on getting some cleaning done. Its nice enough to open the windows and let out all the dust and fur bunnies. They are big enough to live on their own so I think it's time they left our nest. Well that, and the dogs are starting to bark at them when they move around the room with the air currents. It's never a good sign when the fur bunnies are taken for an actual critter in the home.

Tomorrow, WWC! Have you played yet?

7 comments:

Christy said...

I will pray for your parents.

I'll never work more than my scheduled 40 hours and I'll always put my family first.

Even though a lot of time is spent working, I'm glad I can have a place that my family and I can call home. A safe haven.

Jay said...

Definitely sending good vibes your parents way. Hopefully they'll be spared any damage.

Funny you should post about this today. I just started some fall cleaning. I have a long list of stuff to sell or give to charity. Every time I think it would be great to own a house I think about what a hassle it is just to clean out an apartment. Then, I think a house wouldn't be such a great idea.

Nettie said...

ok, so you took time away from the mutalation of dust bunnies to offer me up therapy? You are the best friend ever!
I will of course keep your parents in my thoughts and hope that all goes well with their home.
If you decide to go with the Nomad thing, let me know. I think we could start a small shoe community. nothing but shoes for miles and maybe a few books to keep you totally happy. Then we would needs dogs, and dog food which would require money and we would need to work for the money...Oh fuck it, life will just have to remain the way it is. It was a nice thought anyway.

Kell said...

I'm glad that at least your folks are safe. I'll be thinking about them and hoping for the best.

I join in the shoe commune! After my weekend retreat, it's even hard to return to the routine of normal life. There are times I want to get rid of everything (except my yarn and books) and start all over. And I seem to get these philosophical thoughts on Mondays for some reason.

Tink said...

Oh no! I hope your parents' home is OK. But on the other hand, think of the killer house they could build in Minn with the insurance money. ;)

I dream about being a nomad ALL THE TIME. I hate working my life away in a job I can't stand and that barely pays the bills. I hate commuting. I hate being sucked into TV and video games. I would love to live off the land and spend my days with the people I love. I would trade it all in in a heartbeat.

Btw, that book "World War Z" sounds so good! I'm totally going to pick it up this weekend.

R.E.H. said...

I think the nomad thing sounds good too, but then I realize how dependent I am on certain things... like my car, my computer, the TV...

Can I be a nomad, and still have all those fancy things?

Anonymous said...

I will surely keep your parents in my thoughts...how scary! You are a truly good friend to Nettie...I'm glad she found you - I guess good things came out of the eco-cave afterall.