Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Day Trip South

The Hubster and I took a mini-vacation. We drove down to Wabasha Minnesota to see the National Eagle Center. We had the most wonderful day! I had to load tons of pictures because I was having a hard time eliminating them. So, I am VERY sorry for the length of time it might take to load.

National Eagle Center

Harriet, she was wounded and actually has part of her left wing amputed. Also due to lead poisoning she never fully developed an all white crest so some of her head feathers are still a little brown. She also has a few feathers on the top of her head that stick up. She was the model for the Minnesota Wild Habitat license plate.

Angel, another permanent resident of the center.

Columbia


Newt being silly


The hubster told me I should try to look more like a frog - How'd I do?


This eagle is the centerpiece of the domed roof of the center


This stretch of the river is one of the only spots along the N. stretch of Mississippi that never freezes in the winter. So from December through March they get about 200-400 Bald Eagles that winter right along this area. Judging from some of the pictures they had on display this is a sight to be seen. With dozens of eagles grouped together in trees and on floating ice in the river. We are definitely going back. The river doesn't freeze in this area because of the tremendous currents caused by the narrowing of the river just north of Wabasha. A wide section of the river actually referred to as a lake, and the Chippewa River both meet and converge into this very narrow channel.





After visiting the eagle center we walked around the little downtown portion of Wabasha







Before heading home we decided to have lunch at The Olde Triangle Pub. A fabulous Irish Pub in the center of downtown Wabasha. We had their homemade cream of tomato soup which Hubster and I rate as one of the best bowls of soup we have ever had. Then hubster had a pint and a bowl of Irish Stew. It was fantastic. I had bangers and mash. And it was also fantastic. We finished the meal off by splitting a bowl of strawberry shortcake. All in all, a new favorite place to eat.

Then we hit the road. The next set of photo's are various pictures along the Mississippi River and the beautiful bluffs that surround it.
The stretch of river just north of Wabasha is so wide that the winds were causing waves and white caps on the water. You can just barely see them in this photo.

Barge on the river
We initially went down south to see fall color. But the eagles and the town stole our focus.
Traffic jam Wisconsin style


Sun is setting and we are almost home.

13 comments:

Nettie said...

I run in to one of those traffice jams almost every night on my way home. Love the pictures and I'm glad you both had such a wonderful time. I love it down there and it was fun looking at the pictures knowing exactly where you are.

Nettie said...

OH, you forgot to mention that Wabasha MN was where Grumpy ol Men was filmed.

J said...

That's such a cool area. I love the bluff country in SE Minnesota. And I love the eagles.

Tink said...

Oh! I'm in love. What a beautiful place that would be to call home. But again with the cold. I need to grow a tougher skin or something. ;)

Thank you for sharing the pictures. They're lovely.

R.E.H. said...

Beautiful pictures... makes me wanna pack my bags and go on vacation. Take some pictures myself. Minnesota might be the place to go - never been there.

Anonymous said...

Brian and I stayed a long time ago at a bed and breakfast in Wabasha called the Anderson House that would be right up your pet-loving alley - they are more known for cats than dogs though. I love that drive down Hwy 61...all the little towns are a lot of fun. You should see how many people just stop along the road in the winter to look at those eagles too - it's unbelievable how many people know about this place. Glad you and the hubster had a good time.

Kell said...

That's amazing! I love eagles and that looks like a beautiful area. And I really love the sunset picture. Sounds like a wonderful day.

Jay said...

Lots of awesome pictures! I would love to go to that Eagle Center. I've only seen two Bald Eagles ever in the wild and I couldn't get close enough to get a decent picture either time.

Betty said...

Great photos! Eagles are fascinating, aren't they?

Newt said...

Jay, R.E.H. come on up. It's fabulous here. Dec-Mar is when the Eagles are out in full force. Ok, it's a bit cold out here but still beautiful. Ok, it's a lot cold out here but all that Minnesota nice will keep you feeling all warm and fuzzy. That and did I mention the really good Irish pub? See a few eagles, go drink to warm up. Perfect.

TimW8 said...

You have been TAGGED. If you don't know what that means check out my BLOG. I'm sorry. Don't hate me. Please.

Christy said...

You are a perfect frog princess.

The tractor in the road would have drove me bonkers!

Sounds like a fun mini-vacation.

Karen said...

The pictures of the river are awesome. Looks like a perfect quaint little town also.