Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Simon says.....................

You're bloody terrible.

Or at least he would have if he heard me last night.

We had a whopper of a thunder storm that hit about 12:30 last night. By whopper I mean wind, driving rain, house shaking thunder and a lightening storm that burns through your retinas. So when it hit I stumbled out of bed and went down stairs to help the hubby close windows and batten down the hatches.

Caleb and Lily were locked away in the kennel both faces panting heavily at the door. They were terrified. So I did what every good puppy mom would do. I curled up on the floor in front of the kennel and kept them company. The hubster even got me my yoga mat and a pillow so I would be more comfortable.

Sophie was with me so she curled up next to me.

And since there was no hope of sleeping I decided it might help to sing to the puppies. It went something like this:

"Hush little puppy don't say a word
Mamas going to buy you a mocking bird
And if that mocking bird don't sing
Mamas gonna buy you a diamond ring
And if that diamond ring don't shine
Mamas gonna buy you a dress that's fine
And if that dress doesn't fit real good
Mamas gonna buy you a coat with a hood
and if that coat is not real warm
Mamas gonna buy you some bees that swarm
Rock a bye puppy on the tree top
When the wind blows the kennel will rock
when the bough breaks
the kennel will fall
and down will come puppies kennel and all
damn, is that a depressing song
who the hell thought that would be a good lullaby
raindrops on roses
and whiskers on kittens
bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
these are a few of my favorite things
memories
like the dawning of my mind
misty water fallen memories
of the way we were
I don't think that's how that song goes
come and play
everything's A-OK
Friendly neighborhood that's where we play
can you tell me how to get
how to get to sesame street

And I went on like that for a while.

Till they curled up in their little puppy balls
And the panting stopped
And they fell asleep.

6 comments:

J said...

Doesn't matter what Simon says. The most beautiful singing in the world is that of a mom singing to her babies to comfort them.

Anonymous said...

That's, like, the best lullaby evah! It goes exactly like my songs to my pup do. They don't care what the words are, it's all in your tone of voice, right?

You are a very good pup mom indeed.

Kell said...

You're such a good mom. We have a chance of storms like that tonight, I might have to sing to myself.

Jay said...

You're probably the best puppy mommy ever!

Coffespaz said...

Awww...

My little four footed baby gets scared during storms too. Its so sad, he doesn't say a word, he just stares at me with HUGE eyes until I pull back the covers and let him climb in.

Tink said...

You are such a nut.

I love you even more for it.