Friday, August 10, 2007

Newt on the loose

25 random things

1. The flamingos on my desk must be breeding - a new one appeared the other day

2. The floor I am on had a birthday/work anniversary celebration today - everyone was invited, but they served fish and it stunk up the entire floor. It's my birthday month too and I can't even go to my own party.

3. I went and had pizza instead with Girl J. I liked that much better anyway.

4. My parents are getting a second dachshund. Her name is River.

5. It's jeans day at work today. If we donate money to charity we get to "dress down" one day a month. It's the best damn day of the month.

6. This weekend they are shutting freeways down to add lanes to help with congestion from the bridge collapse. They will shut down more next weekend. But after that they can't because of the state fair. GOD FORBID they make it harder than it already is for us to get to the fair grounds. I think Minnesota nice would only last for so long if MNDOT started getting between us and our deep fried twinkies.

7. And I ain't kidding about #6. We take our heart attack on a stick VERY seriously.

8. Our local fox affiliate is threatening advertising that they plan on adding Family Guy to the evening nightly line-up. I'm seriously concerned that they are cutting out one of my Simpsons. I will be a very disgruntled person if they do that.

9. The hubster and I went and bought new silverware the other night. We have been married 8 years and this is the first "big" table top item we have bought together. We already had glasses, dishes, and silverware when we got together so we didn't register for any new stuff.

10. Because all of our dogs were rescues and all of them were "damaged" by horrible humans we have never had a puppy. But we love to imagine what our dogs were like when they were pups. And we know that they were all the cutest little things ever. And I think when we imagine that we wish even more that we could have been there sooner and prevented them from having to go through what they did.

11. When you really think about it, they are adorable now. When they were puppies they must have been utterly adorable. How could someone hurt something that is too cute for words?

12. Grrrrrr. I get so mad when I think that there are evil people in this world hurting dogs and cats all the time.

13. There are special places in hell for them.

14. I like flavor to my water. But I don't like bubbley water and I don't want sweet water. So the other day I picked up packets of unsweetened kool-aid. And I sprinkle some in my water bottle. It's pretty good. But you really have to be into bitter flavors. So far I have tried pink lemonade and lemon-lime. It might be odd but it's one of my best ideas yet.

15. The bright green water did stop a few people yesterday though.

16. I called a customer I have worked with for several years only to have him tell me he lost his job and his last day is next Friday. Well, that makes for awkward conversation. I feel very bad for him. And how do you even go about talking about why you called in the first place?

17. The picture of my husband and the cat eating corn. Yep, it's real. They have done it a couple of nights in a row. They sit on the couch together and eat the corn off the cob.

18. Lily and I have started a tradition. Every night I have to say good night to her. She goes into her kennel and lays down. She turns over on her back so I can rub her belly and then I have to lean down so she can give me a kiss on the nose. She gets very anxious if I don't do this.

19. Caleb used to go to the very back of the kennel so we wouldn't be able to reach him. Now he gets a lot closer to the door so that when I give Lily her good night belly rub he can get his head patted.

20. There was a dragon fly on the window this morning. It had the most beautiful shades of yellow in it's wings.

21. Our neighbors came and took some vine plants that had spread from the vine we want to have growing. They were thrilled to have the little plants. We were thrilled that we got our neighbors to do our weeding for us.

22. The corn right now is orgasmic. It is sweet and crispy and incredible. One of the many fabulous things about summer.

23. I think this is going to be another weekend in which I stay in my pajamas and do a whole lot of nothing. I imagine a comfy chair, a big glass of ice cold bitter Kool-aid water and a good book. While 4 puppies play around in the grass.

24. I have started to play Neverwinter nights again on the computer. Man can you make hours disappear in the blink of an eye. My character is a elven monk. No weapons. Just a lot of punching and kicking. And she's very good at it.

25. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

7 comments:

J said...

That's really odd to have fish for an office lunch. That's always the #1 thing that you're not suppose to bring with you to reheat in the microwave. And with your "love" of fish, the smell must have made the rest of the day just a treat as well, huh?

Kell said...

I love random thoughts!

What happened to cake for birthday celebrations? When is your birthday?!? Al's is the 11th (the big 4-0 this year).

I love the stories about the dogs, too. Every time we see a dog on tv or look at photos on the computer, Al and I just looks at each other. I'm pretty sure there will be an addition to the family at some point soon.

Anonymous said...

Since our new overlords relaxed the dress code and made every day casual Friday I haven't been big big on Jeans Days--especially in the summer when its too hot outside for jeans.

Tink said...

1. Did you ever find out where the new flamingo came from? Watch out, the idea might catch you'll walk in one day unable to see your desk! ;)
10. Awwww. That's so sweet. Gave me the warm fuzzies.
15. Reminds me of when I made broc-and-cheese soup (homemade) and it came out puke green. It was SO good, but no one would eat it or watch me eat it.
20. Beautiful! When Hoop, the boys, and I went to the springs, dozens landed on us while we floated along. It was amazing.
25. About as much wood as a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Anonymous said...

Heeeellllooo to Captain Jack Sparrow in the upper right hand blog corner!

Love the flavoured water idea...especially because I love sour-tasting things anyway.

Sorry to hear that gentleman lost his job. I worked for a pharma company that laid off 150+ people but gave everyone more than a week to finish up their tasks and use the company resources to look for work (copiers, faxes, etc). Very unconcerned about sabatoge, obviously. Anyhoodle, no one got a speck of work done of course because it was too weird to care about what was going to happen to your workload after you left. It was basically a week of b-s-ing with people and having fun (despite the dire circumstances). Oh! And there was alcohol consumption whilst on the job too!

Anonymous said...

Eewww...can't stand the pucker of sour. But that's not nearly as bad as fish smells trapped in a room, what were they thinking?

Coffespaz said...

Wheee...random thoughts rule!

RE: 9. Congrats. DH and I did something similar for our 6th anniversary. We registered for china etc, but didn't get any. I guess that's what you get when all your friends have "beer" pocket books and you have "champagne" taste! Anyway, we finally found "THE" set of china that we both just loved, it had matching silverware and the best part (drum roll please) was that it was on sale, at a factory outlet store.

Anywhooo...enjoy your flatware. That's really exciting! :-)