Monday, August 13, 2007

Having A Harry Moment

***We interrupt this normally scheduled post of "nothingness" to bring you a very important announcement:
Nettie Rides a Hog - also known as Girl J or BFF J has now moved. She has changed who she is, what she is, how she is and now, she has changed where she is. Please stop by and see her brand new look!

I now return you to the usual Newtness:

The hubster and I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix finally. For most of you the movie is old news but for us, a little slow on the take, well, I have to share my delayed excitement.

I was very excited and I really enjoyed the movie. The hubster did as well. No comments from the peanut gallery the whole movie meant he liked it. No groaning, sighing, under his breath complaining, not even a shake of the head. And that folks is VERY rare. Trust me.

First, let me say, as many of you did back when it was released, that the casting was exceptional as always. I believe that we caught a glimpse of Tonks in this film though they didn't really highlight her at all, and the girl they picked for Luna was amazing. She fit the image in my head perfectly.

I thought the story moved very quickly for being well over two hours but that has been the way with all the movies. They are a fast and wonderful ride.

What I didn't expect, and I won't do any spoilers here, but what I didn't expect was how I reacted to seeing these characters again after learning their fates in book 7. We've closed the book so to speak on the story but the movies are allowing us one final glimpse at all of the characters. And visually at least, introducing us to some of them for the first time. It's funny but I caught myself getting a little choked up knowing what was in store for them all. That's probably a little pathetic but hey, what can I say. I'm a marshmallow of emotion sometimes.

I can't wait till this comes out on DVD. One of these weekends this winter I think I will have to have a Potterthon. And I know I want to re-read the series. Back to back with no interruptions. My dad is reading them for the first time. It's funny to talk to him as he is discovering all the wonderful things about the books. He is on #2 and loving it.

I'm currently reading a series called "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci" by Diana Wynne Jones. It was a recommended series for anyone that liked Harry Potter. These books pre-date Potter by about 20 years so it is not one of the newer bandwagon series. I am on the second book and I like it. I wasn't sure if I would, there isn't the sense of depth in the characters like you have in the Potter series, but this morning I almost didn't get off the bus at my stop so that tells me I am really into these books. It's the same idea, children with magical gifts and the good and evil people that want to exploit them. But it's different enough that I find them fun and fresh.

5 comments:

J said...

We broke down and picked up the first 6 HP books a few days before book 7 was released. Now that I've read book 7, I'm thinking of going back to the beginning and starting over. Knowing the ending always dramatically changes how I read a book. It'll be interesting.

Jay said...

The Oder of Phoenix is available for download a few places online already too. Of course that would illegal, and I would NEVERRRRRR do such a thing, so just pretend I never said anything about it ok? ;-)

Kell said...

I can't wait to see the next 2 Potter films now. And I felt the same way about seeing these characters while knowing what happens to them. If was even hard to watch Order of the Phoenix because I kept bracing myself for Sirious.

Tink said...

I loved the movie too. I just wish they would have shown more Tonks. She's one of my favorite characters! And what happened to the part with the fountain? That should have been pretty cool. Otherwise, it was an awesome movie.

Nettie said...

Question? Can I join you on the Potterthon so I can get in with everyone else?

Thanks for the mention.