Friday, August 17, 2007

Silver spoons

I was walking around downtown with Girl J and we passed by a multi generation of women that smelled like money. Elegant clothing, perfect hair, stick thin. Every generation. And there was three or four generations of them walking together.

And we joked that we were definitely missing the money gene. The perfect posture, the beauty pageant smile and walk. The tailored clothing and coiffed hair.

Even if we won the lottery tomorrow we could never have whatever it is they have.

What is it that they have? What is it about "good breeding"?

I'm not envious, not in the least. I know that what goes on behind their doors could be a nightmare greater than anything I can imagine.

But I am curious about how some people are born with the proverbial silver spoon and stick up the you know what and some of us are not. Ok, most of us are not.

Honestly, how many poor posture, slovenly, butt ugly people have you seen that are from well to do families. Old money. I can't think of many.

Is it just genes or do they get pulled aside in pre-school and get lessons the rest of us aren't entitled to? What does good breeding really mean? And how do so many manage to look posture perfect?

And how much work is it to look like you just walked off the cover of In Style?

Cause I'm lucky if I can put my shirt on right side out. And I'm even luckier if I get out the door without mascara marks all over my face. And that's when I 'm trying to look nice.

There probably isn't an answer but I thought I would run it by you. It's been on my mind since we had our walk.

8 comments:

Jay said...

I think it's their upbringing. They have all this snooty upscale living crammed down their throats from day one. They go to private schools and have nannies and private tutors and finishing school teaching them how to act like the upper crust.

Personally I think you and I would know how to really enjoy that money a lot more than they do. LOL

Anonymous said...

Jay's right. How on earth can you enjoy a rippin' good time when you have to worry about keeping perfect posture?

Who knew there was such great benefits to not being filthy rich?

Anonymous said...

I dunno. I am certainly not poor by any standards, but I can attest that most days I am just as lucky as you to get out of the house with my shirt on the right way, makeup where I intended it (only) and perhaps matching to boot!! Must be all in the genes.....

Maybe that is what they mean by designer genes? No, oh.

Courtney said...

I'm with you. My family was low then middle class and, while my dad pounded into us the importance of manners and tact, I could still belch the alphabet. And I practiced, too! He often said he thought he'd had two daughters, but apparently got one son. Sometimes it's just a choice. If you want to present yourself that way to other people, you do so in public. But I bet those women are holy terrors at home. High maintenance, b*tchy, and probably mean.

Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel sorry for people who are born with the silver spoon in their mouth. I mean, they rarely know the value of a dollar or how it feels to really need it and then earn it. They likely spend much of their existence fearing the loss or disappearance of said money. Sad, no? Not to mention the pressure put on rich, young folks to be "practically perfect in every way" (to quote Mary Poppins). I like to think that when I'm a millionaire I will have the good graces to keep my head on straight and be okay with it when I leave the house in my inside-out shirt!

Betty said...

There is something about people who have always had money. I think it may be their air of confidence.

Kell said...

When we toured Windsor Castle, I kept thinking how differently it must have been to grow up there. Did the little princes ride their big wheels down the hallways, under all those portraits? Probably not, poor things.

J said...

"Honestly, how many poor posture, slovenly, butt ugly people have you seen that are from well to do families. Old money."

Actually, the first thing I thought of when I read this was the British royal family. Richer than hell, but with the exception of Diana's boys, all the rest are butt ugly. A little inbreeding goes a long long way.