Monday, July 16, 2007

Weekend Recap

Saturday was a good day home with the pups and the hubster. We put together our new elliptical machine that we got. It was quite the project. But when we were done we had no left over parts and the machine worked!

We also watched The Lake House - We had set out to watch a different movie, The Ice Harvest, but when we popped it into the DVD player it wouldn't play. Turns out the DVD was cracked.
Sigh..................It's bound to happen with the mail order DVD service once in a while. Anyway, The Lake House wasn't too bad. It was a little slow so we actually watched portions of the movie in fast forward. But, it was a sweet romance.

Sunday I got up early and Girl J and I went up a bit north to see my brother and sister-in-law. They live in San Jose but were out here for a wedding. It was a nice drive up. A little over 2 1/2 hours. We picked up Marc and Elizabeth and headed out. Basically that part of the state is all about outdoor recreation so there isn't a lot to do if you aren't going to boat or fish. But we wandered down the road a bit and decided to walk around the little town of Nisswa.

And we had a blast. We browsed all the little gift shops, had some lunch and followed that up with ice cream. We were also able to hook up with Girl J's cousin. She lives in the area so she came down to the ice cream shop and visited with us. Then some more wandering and shopping. The thing that amazed me about their little downtown shopping district is that from the outside the shops look like tiny little small town boutiques. But it is so deceiving. The shops are huge. The buildings go much farther back than the facade lets on. So we were constantly amazed at how much there was to look at every time we walked into a different store.

After that we dropped off M&E at the home of a family member and then headed back down to the cities. And it was a very busy drive home. I never knew so many people go out of town for the weekend. The roads were really crowded. On the way back we stopped and met Girl J's step daughter for dinner. It was a little more than the half way point so it was a perfect break. Then home we went.

When I got home the hubster told me that Lily pretty much spent her entire day staring at the front door waiting for me to come home. I felt a little guilty but also enormously glad that she loves her mom so much. We worked so hard to get her to this point it just did my heart good to hear she not only feels safe but loves us as much as we love her.

The hubster also bought a truck load of mulch. Lost of gardening to do now! I need to clean up the gardens so we can put down the mulch. It has worn down to dirt in a few places so it's time to load the yard back up. About every other year or so we have to do this. Last year we just spot mulched so this is the year for the "hard" work.

But our yard never looks better than after a brand new fresh layer of mulch. And the flowers are growing so well this year it should look spectacular when we are done. And I will take lots of pictures.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I think when I was a Netflix member that I got broken DVDs about 1/4 of the time. It was nuts!

Jay said...

So far I haven't gotten any broken Netflix DVDs. But, I know some people who have.

Sundays are always a good day to go out wandering around.

Tink said...

My Mom watched the ENTIRE movie in fast forward. She said, "I never saw anything that important to slow it down for." *Snort*

Betty said...

Lily is a sweet dog. Kell's dog, Daily, used to lie down next to whatever door Kell went out, and whine the whole time she was gone. It didn't do much for the egos of the rest of the people who were at home.

Kell said...

Daily eventually calmed down once she bonded with others. But it was sweet to hear she missed me.

I love discovering those small towns. There's always something that made it worth the trip.