Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Plans Change

For the first couple of years here in MN we would go to the Taste of Minnesota for the 4th of July. We didn’t’ actually go to the festival but rather a parking ramp near the state capital where the festival was held.

The roof of the parking garage was landscaped with the softest, greenest lawn you ever did see. We brought a grill, tons of food, games, blankets, and chairs. And we pretty much camped out there all afternoon and evening.

Despite it’s proximity to the festival very few people figured out this wonderful “secret”

Around 10 our entire reason for being there (besides hanging out with our friends) would take place. The big fireworks show. And the show literally took place over our heads. It was the best seat in the city.

Then a few years ago they moved the festival to an island on the Mississippi. We went down for the fireworks but there just isn’t a good spot from which to watch them. Well, there probably is but we don’t want to fight the crowds.

The last few years have been cook-outs at or house. Then the brave ones go into the city to watch the show. The rest of us just hang out and watch a movie or something.

This year the hubster and I have the exciting plan of hiding with the dogs in the basement. Lily can’t handle fireworks so in anticipation of a night with a terrified dog we figured we would take snacks and dog treats and retreat into our basement. A lil family picnic. I just need to figure out a good movie to watch. Or maybe I’ll pick up season 1 of Eureka and we can watch some of that. Whatever we decide to do and or watch I know we will have fun. Taking care of our baby girl is more important than silly old fireworks.

On a side note tonight I have to take our kitty in to the vet to have him checked. He has been pulling out the fur on his back for over a month now and we can’t get him to stop. While we are there I plan to ask the vet about using a mild sedative for Lily. Help calm her nerves. The poor baby is truly terrified of the noises.

I want to wish everyone a safe and happy 4th!

5 comments:

Jay said...

A mild sedative for Lily is a good idea. Poor puppy. Lots of dogs are scared by fireworks and I don't blame them. They're soooo loud.

The fireworks show here at my apt complex it tonight. I guess I'll get out the tripod and try to get some pictures.

Have fun in the basement with the dogs!!

Kell said...

Our dog was never afraid of fireworks until we moved here. This is the worst area for loud, house-shaking fireworks.

Hope your kitty is OK! Poor thing.

Have fun at your family picnic.

Betty said...

I know how your dog feels. I've always been afraid of fireworks.

Anonymous said...

Awwww...poor Lil. :(

And I hope your kitty is okay too.

Happy 4th!

Tink said...

I wish I had followed suit. Our 4th was filled with rain, muggy weather, late fireworks, and crazy traffic. I hope the kitty is OK! Keep us updated.