Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ramblings for Wednesday

I just finished the most interesting and somewhat maddening yet charming book. It is called Winkie. It's a story about a bear who is also a suspected terrorist bomber. I got your curiosity didn't I? Well, read it, it's fascinating.

I also want to comment on what a few of you said in comments over yesterday's post. I was very intrigued that we all picked up on the exact same line in the book. For me it stood out for some reason, actually I should say "jumped out" at me. And I honestly can't tell you why. But I "literally" tripped over it. I was reading right along at a good clip and then suddenly, bang, fell right over. It stopped me dead in my reading tracks. But why? It gave many of us a reason to pause. I find that fascinating. Usually people grab different lines from a book that stood out to them. What about this one made it stand out to so many?

Does anyone out there watch Eureka? I am completely and totally intrigued by the direction the show is going. And I am very surprised. They are not taking it in the direction I would expect. They are not shooting for the happy ending for the main character. They are taking it deeper and more true to life I think. It's a fantastic show. Season one is out on DVD so if you haven't seen it you might want to rent it.

On a really off note I want to give a shout out to the state of Washington. This has been hands down one of the best years for cherries. I'm surprised I am not turning pink. We have been getting these huge containers of cherries from Costco and they are fabulous.

Yes, I did just give a shout out to an entire state.

I'll close with pictures of the yard.




Below is the cutest little plant we got on Saturday. I love that it is an evergreen with pink flowers (Second picture is a close up). And it's going to stay that tiny. It's only about 8 inches tall and about 10 inches around.





8 comments:

Kell said...

Lovely pictures! What are the flowers in the last photo? They're gorgeous; I don't think I've seen them before.

Isn't it weird so many of us got tripped up on that line too? I did the same thing--that line stopped me in my tracks. Weird.

Newt said...

I'll look for a tag tonight for the name of those flowers. They grow great in sun. Spread out so you get nice clumps of them. The only bad thing about them is they start to smell bad towards fall. We can't confirm it's actually them but every year since we planted them the spot they are in starts to stink. And I think it is because they get a very dense leaf system and the underleaves start to rot. It's the best guess we have for why they don't smell in July/Aug. but get stinky toward Sept.

Tink said...

Ooo. What are the flowers in the last picture? They're beautiful!

The whole "memory sequence" from Snape gave me chills. I always had a hunch...

Newt said...

The last picture is of a plant called: Gaillardia Aristata. They come in several varieties, are very hardy, love sun, drought tolerant and grow well in sandy soil. And no where does it mention a smell so it must be something else in our yard that is doing it.

Coffespaz said...

Love the yard....I want to come over and play, it looks so inviting!

Anonymous said...

Well, as someone with A LOT of family in Washington State, You're Welcome! :o)

In fact, we'll be there next weekend. Wonder if there will be any cherries left for us to eat?

That little plant is stupidly cute.

Jay said...

Your garden is awesome! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I was gonna ask you about Winkie. It's on my list of books to read, but I haven't made it there yet. Glad you liked it. Oh, and I love those orange and yellow flowers. What are they?