Sunday, July 22, 2007

Compassion and cruelty

I went outside with the pups. I looked up because I heard a scream. And there was my neighbors dog lying in the road. His tail was wagging. Car, my neighbor ran across the road and scooped up his puppy. I ran in to call to find out where we could take the dog, Michael grabbed his keys. Cars in both directions pulled over and people offered to help. The driver was long gone. He had sped away.

The pain and agony in Cars voice as he yelled for people to leave him alone. The kind vet tech on the phone giving me directions. I handed my husband the phone number in case he needed it and he left to go pick up Car and Pedro. I went across the alley and his wife clung to me in tears.

A young couple were there to help. The girl was helping Car to the car. The young man was on the phone probably with the same kind vet tech. There was blood all over Car but the pup was alert, he was panting but seemed ok.

I just held on to Eve as they sped away. My husband parked and came over. He told her that if they needed help paying for the vet we would do that. More neighbors came over. A young girl was sitting in a car crying, wanting to know what she could do to help.

The police came and took a report. The officer said his partner was looking for the red truck that sped away. He took statements from all of the people that had stopped.

Their son came soon after and his mom clung to him barely able to stand up. He was going to go over to the hospital to be with his dad and the dog. But they would be back.

With hugs and tears we told them to let us know if there was anything we could do. Anything.

We weren't in the mood to eat but I made dinner anyway. A double batch. I took half over to our neighbor. Car was home. I asked how the pup was and he pointed to the fresh dirt mound with the squeaky monkey sitting on top. I gave him a hug, more tears, and dinner. He thought it smelled wonderful and there was a smile on his face. Through all that, he managed a smile on his face.

Today I saw the best and worst in mankind. I saw compassion. I saw people who no longer cared about where they were going or what they were doing. They just wanted to be there for support.

I trust the Karma Cow now to set things right. Go after that driver in the red truck oh great Karma Cow. Please......................

10 comments:

Kell said...

I'm so sorry for your neighbors. It's just awful, but they sound like wonderful people. And they're lucky they have such wonderful neighbors.

Nettie said...

That is terrible! Made me cry at the thought. You are such a wonderufl neighbor.

J said...

Grrrrr. Red truck. I'll keep an eye out.

Tink said...

Oh no! I kept hoping through it all that the pup would make it. God, that's depressing.

I'll never forget the screams of the girl who lived down the street from my Mom's. An old man who was known for speeding through the neighborhood hit her cat and kept driving.

The pet was dead instantly. But that poor girl. She just sat in the middle of the street, screaming and crying, hugging the cat to her chest. I wanted to hurt that man in that moment. We all make mistakes. But to keep driving was inexcusable.

Coffespaz said...

:Sniff: That is so horrible. Its times like that when I feel such unadulterated rage that I just shake. There is no reason for such insensitivity and cruelty. I am so happy that your neighbors had so much support, though nothing can ease the pain of losing a good friend. Glad you can be there with them!! HUGS

Newt said...

Yep, it was the leaving the scene part that got me mad. There was probably no way they could have avoided hitting the dog and no one blamed them for the actual act. It was the speeding away that hurt. It turned what would have been simply an accident to an act of inhumane and thoughtless cruelty.

Anonymous said...

What a horrible, horrible person. I hope they get gangrene.

But it is wonderful to hear about all those that cared enough to stop to see if there was anything they could do.

Anonymous said...

That's awful. I don't wish the asshat any ill will, but I definitely hope that both the police and Karma catch up to him in a big way. I'm glad that so many people tried to help though. I always say that I don't really want to know my neighbors, but things like that make me think otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that your neighbor had you to help out. Having something awful like that happen to a furbaby is just heartbreaking. I hope that Karma evens things out.... Sigh.

graymama said...

What do I say? I am crying. {{{{hugs}}}} to your neighbors.

You and your husband are the definition of kind <3