Thursday, May 31, 2007

Taking the office out in to the WAY TOO OPEN

I decided I might as well continue the work theme with another observation I have made lately.

First there were pagers and people would have themselves beeped just so they would seem important

Then there were cell phones and people would talk on them even if there was no one on the other end just so they felt important

Then there were those tiny hands free ear pieces that started to blur the line between crazy people and someone talking on the phone.

And now there is Bluetooth. And it seems to be primarily men that feel a need to hold meetings all by themselves in VERY public places. Apparently no longer having a chord between your phone and ear piece is some sort of liberating experience. So much so that they feel the urge to pace around, hand motions all over the place. And using a vocal volume somewhere between screaming and rock concert screaming. I know they do it for show. I know they think it makes them big and important. They sure as heck let everyone know what color they bleed. And damned if I don’t feel the strongest urge to walk over, grab that damn ear piece off their head and grind it underneath my beautiful sexy blue Nine West heals.


***Addendum to yesterday's discussion about bleeding the company colors:
I was reminded during a conversation today with Nettie that there is a third sub-category for those people that bleed company colors. And that would be the people that don't think they bleed company colors but in reality do so.

10 comments:

J said...

I still love playing "Bluetooth or Insane?" when walking around downtown Minneapolis.

Tory said...

I'm with you sister as far as the bluetooth and cell phones in general. why the constant need to be talking on the phone?? Get over yourselves, people. It's just rude.
Tory
Thanks for the rant!!!

Jay said...

These people annoy the crap out of me. It really is all for show. They want everyone to think they're some kind of big-shot or something. Non of them are. They're just somebody who works on a cube farm and they're trying to compensate for it in public. Just like men who drive an H2.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is when those people are yammering away in the checkout line and are so involved in their 'conversation' that they hold up the line by not realizing that it's time to pay up and get out.

I wonder what color self-importance is?

Betty said...

I can feel free to talk to myself in public, now, because people will just think I'm talking on my itsy bitsy hands free non-existent cell phone.

Molly said...

As you crunch the the damn earpiece underneath the sexy Nine West shoes, the crowd cheers.

I teach seventh grade; we had a mom talking business during a school conference about her daughter. Can you imagine that?

Courtney said...

If I had a dollar for every businessman who came in for coffee in the morning with one of those things attached to his ear, and then held up a hand or finger at me (while he's standing at the register right in front of me!) to make me wait while he discusses money . . . ARGH! If you're too busy talking, don't walk up to order! The best is when they point to the size drink they want and mouth "coffee" silently at me, then apologize to the person on the phone.

Nettie said...

so I'm curious....when we are shopping on saturday and I start having conversations on my blue tooth at the mall, will you yank it off my head and attempt to smash it under your flops? It is pink, does that help?

Tink said...

I have a love/hate relationship with cell phones. Somedays I feel like mine rules my life. I feel like I'm ALWAYS on call. But at the same time I don't want to give it up. I'm the girl that would run out of gas on a desolate road the day I cut the service. *Snort*

So...How's the book?

Kell said...

I love the image of grinding it under your shoe. That's great.