Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bleeding other colors

I’ve noticed there are two types of employees, those that bleed company colors and those that don’t. Each of these fall into two sub categories. If you bleed company colors you either do it at the cost of any life outside of work, or you bleed the company colors on the outside of your body. Bleeding on the outside is also known as the pathetic brown noser.
For those that don’t bleed company colors the two sub types are those that are just bitter and hate their job and those that have their priorities elsewhere.

We all work with people that fall into each category. And in terms of relating to one’s co-workers I find I relate best with those in my sub-category. I find some of the other’s either annoying or infuriating.

I was invited to a lunch and learn that focused around balancing home and work. When I declined the offer I actually got some pretty snotty responses.

I decided that they are simply jealous of those of us that still bleed good old blood.

Now, just because I have chosen to not devote my soul to the company store it doesn’t mean that I am not happy in the workplace. I still love what I do and do my job to the best of my abilities. I have just decided that it doesn’t need to be my life. And I find that I don’t’ always respect or admire those that do give up everything else.

Life is too short to worry so much about work. Yes, it gives us the money to live our lives. But what kind of life is it if we give everything we have to work?

I know there are some careers that people choose because it is what they want to do with their lives. Their careers are their lives. But those are the doctors, the scientists, the artists that leave a legacy behind.

But come on, if you sell furniture for a living, or you work for a company that makes cars. Is what you do REALLY that important? SO important that you forget your family, your children, your dog?

Please don’t misunderstand me, I sell chemicals for a living. No one died because a box of soap didn’t reach its destination. SO I am not belittling ANY career choices. I’m pretty much just rambling senselessly.

We have had a few people die at work here over the past couple of years and I find it interesting that the person is remembered for what they sold, the accounts they brought to the company etc. But no where in the often full page layout does it mention what kind of person they were. How many kids they had, the wife or husband left behind. The hobbies, the pets.

And I find that a little sad.

I don’t want my tombstone to read: “She sold a lot of soap.”

I prefer “She lived life to the fullest.” “She danced” “Loving mother of 4 dogs and 4 cats.” “Cherished wife” “The world will be a darker place”

Something, anything, that showed that I LIVED.

13 comments:

Jay said...

I used to work with the "bleed company colors" types. Their job, a manufacturing job, was what defined their lives. They were consumed by it. Then, the plant closed and most of the production was moved to Mexico. They all got kicked to the curb.

You can't give your heart and soul to a company that has absolutely no loyalty towards you. And that is basically EVERY company out there. They don't view their employees as assests, they view them as liabilities that need to be limited and tossed aside when possible.

Bitter? Table for one. Bitter? Table for one. LOL

Jay said...

Oh and remember Nobody, on his/her deathbed ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office".

Anonymous said...

We're definitely in the same sub-category. I was the one touting this same message at my most recent permanent workplace. Yes, we developed drugs to battle cancer but people! -- We need a life too, otherwise what damned good are we to anyone else, hmmmm?

This post sends a message about those who can "confuse" work ethic with work addiction. (I put confuse in quote to emphasize that some folks blur the lines on purpose)

Well, as you were. And thanks for writing this post. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Very true.

Not being defined by your job is important if you have a life outside of it.

I sell insurance. I would hate to be known ONLY as that woman that sold 15 policies in one day... Ya know?

Betty said...

How true. Most companies demand much more than they should from their employees. One of my many bosses decided at the last minute to hold a "working" staff meeting with the managers under him. I was already in the lunchroom - not that I would have attended the meeting, anyway. And, he called me away from my lunch to have me pick up the phone and order pizza for them. Now, I ask you!

Tink said...

>>“She sold a lot of soap.”<< LMAO! That would be horrible. Mine would read...

"She priced beer well."

I need Hoop to read your post. He gets so wound in work sometimes I feel like I'm one of his coworkers.

Coffespaz said...

Good post, and oh so true! I am really greatful that my company (a CPA firm) encourages us all to "have a life outside the firm". They expect a lot from us throughout the year, but they also give a lot to enable us to spend time with family and do the things we need to do outside the building. Still, its a rare trait in any business.

Tina said...

Hmmm I'll probably remember you for your shoes, your pups and for your interesting take on life.

What people who bleed 3005 blue don't tend to realize is that behind everyone of us is someone else that can work harder and do 100 more things ten times better than we even imagined. It's hard to break habits and even harder when your management tells you in a review that you need to be working overtime as the rule not the exception. Our department is getting better with some leadership who understands family and outside interests help mold a person into a better co-worker. I know people probably think I work all the time and am consumed by it, but they'd be surprised.

BTW I own a lot of eco-wear - it's easy to pick that and a pair of khaki's than a whole ensemble but then again I'm lazy.

Tina said...

Maybe I need a shoe intervention?

Newt said...

Jay, not bitter, truthful. And I pity the fool whose dying breath is wishing he worked harder. Very sad.

Michelle, good way to put it, blurring between ethic and addiction. Very true.

MuttPrincess, ha ha ha - "Here lies MuttPrincess, she really knew her policies." You're right, I think " A princess who enjoyed life so much her crown got tarnished is MUCH better."

Betty, Please tell me you put a bugger in the pizza???

Tink, send Hoop on over! With you at home he's CRAZY to spend one minute more than he has to at work or thinking about work. Boy needs to get his priorities in order.

Coffespaz, I'm jealous. Are they hiring????

Tina, shoe intervention - girl, I am ALL over that one! And no, they can't be freak'n blue :-) ha ha ha

Kell said...

See, this is why we get along so well! Great post and very true.

It's just as bad in the military world. If you aren't overly ambitious and want to be some big commander, they think something is wrong with you. And if you don't make commander, they start weeding you out. They lose a lot of wonderful and talented people that way.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post.

Nettie said...

Here Lies Rebecca...she never let a sexy show go to waste.