Friday, May 04, 2007

Lil Ol Lady with moxie



Her Majesty came to the states and I just have to say, she is adorable. And even me the ungirly girl gets all giddy and blushing at the thought of a real queen in our country. It's so traditional, so Renaissance, so princess and the pea. Just so cool. With a dignity and charm no American has EVER been able to achieve. Sure they have their ghosts to hide, their eccentricities, their politics. But the bottom line is they have something we will never have. And I'm not sure we could ever have it. The American spirit has never focused on tradition and dignity. We have focused on taming the wild and doing the impossible. And that's great, don't get me wrong. But I don't think we can ever be what I would call dignified.


We are too obsessed with being on whatever bandwagon happens to currently stand in the 15 minute spot light.


I once read that Paris Hilton thought she was the closest thing we have in this country to royalty. Oh yeah, I SO want that to represent the best we can do for royalty.


I can't even think of one person that I would classify as being close. Can you?


My goal as I grow older:


Have a style all my own

Not blend

Leave people a little confused

But also delighted

Not be crabby

But be eccentric

Have a little dog with a bow in her hair

And a purse with a big flower on it

And maybe a matching hat

And great shoes

I want people to wish I was their grandma

And the guy at the local market to know my name

And when I die

For people to say that I enjoyed life

And surely seemed to get a kick out of everything


Here's to you Queen Elizabeth. You adorably royally you..............




7 comments:

Tink said...

That's fabulous! Great post. I think I'll aspire to be all of those things when I'm older too. Only the dog might have to have a set of pearls as well as the bow. ;)

Nettie said...

I want you to be MY gramma!

steve said...

I think Jackie O. and the whole "Camelot" thing came close to an American version of royalty back in the 60's, but even that wasn't nearly the same and was certainly short-lived.

Jay said...

QE II is the coolest of all the Royals. It's gonna suck when she's gone. There are lots of stories that she might abdicate in favor of Charles. She's already turned over a large number of things to him.

My favorite QE II moment EVER came when she pulled rank on Charles and made him reschedule his wedding and made him represent the UK at the Pope's funeral. Now that's power. haha

Betty said...

I am a big fan of QE2, but I was an even bigger fan of her mother, the Queen Mum. Now, there was a very classy lady. She was the best thing to have happened to England during WWII. (Not that I remember WWII, you understand.)

Kell said...

She is adorable, isn't she. Look how comfortable she looks.

And I think you'll be all those things when you get older! It would be cool to wear a matching hat.

Abbee Normalle said...

I was having a similiar conversation with a friend of mine from Russia. Our culture is so much about what is the next big thing. We haven't a clue about class or traditions. Everyone is restless and trying to out-do someone.

Not that I don't mind our culture altogether but, ours is not a perfect one. Definitely flawed.