Monday, May 01, 2006

On some level it’s cool

I’m published. Yippee. Grant you it’s not for anything on par with the fabulous Tink’s story. But rather it is for a letter to the editor. But hey, it’s in a magazine, and it’s for sale to the national public. So, that’s kinda cool. The editor had written about re-reading books. Which lead to my blog about that subject which lead to Mikerzz’s blog about that subject. But first it lead to me emailing in to the magazine editor. Who in turn emailed me back. He mentioned making room for my letter but I didn’t actually believe it would happen.

Cool lines from what I am currently reading:

To set the scene for both quotes, the main character has had an encounter with civil war soldiers camped out in the marshes near New Orleans. The story takes place in the mid 90’s. The mid 1990’s.

“Ah, you’ll simply turn your back on madness, will you? The quixotic vision is not for you, is it?”

“…..and decided that the general and I would not share our secrets with those whose lives and vision were defined by daylight and a rational point of view.”

“In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead” by James Lee Burke

As I mentioned in my previous blog, this is a re-read. I told my dad to give James Lee Burke a try. So while he was here visiting me I gave him one of his books. He loved it. Then when he went back home he mentioned to his coffee shop buddies that his daughter got him hooked on a new author. Two of the coffee shop guys said that Burke was hands down their favorite author and one of the guys in fact went out to his car and and gave dad a whole stack of his books. (Sometimes the coincidences in life are surreal) Well anyway, he has been reading the series in order and finally got to “Electric Mist” This was my favorite book by Burke and also the one that got me hooked on his writing. So in order to be able to discuss the book with him I picked it back up. I think I may be enjoying this book even more the second time around. I know the character better. I know the directions his life is going to go. And I know that one of the main characters is no longer with us (in a literary sense – she’s was killed off recently) So it’s like visiting an old friend. If you have never tried James Lee Burke do so. Read his Dave Robicheaux series. They are fantastic novels. I little violent but damn if the guy can’t write descriptive and poetic narrative better than almost anyone I have ever read.

Anyway, I have now beaten this topic to death. So, so long, talk to you later gator.

2 comments:

Tink said...

That's EXCELLENT!!! <--Note, worthy of three "!s"

Don't ever downplay your success. Congrats and be sure to let us know when it's published so we can buy a copy.

Newt said...

It was published in "Bookmarks" May/June issue that just hit the stores. I know that Barnes and Noble has it. I think Borders does as well. Bookmarks is actually a pretty kick ass magazine for book lovers. I also get Pages magazine. Both have unique good points about them.