Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Two dogs, a lot of road, goose murder, a boy king, and 3:30am.

This past weekend the hubster and I along with another couple and our two dogs got in the car and headed for Chicago. It’s about 7 hours worth of driving to get there. And with two psychotic little dogs – man was it fun. Actually the dogs were really good. I have to give them credit.

I took over driving about 3 ½ hours into the trip. And I was not but a few miles down the road when I had to swerve around a frantically waving Canadian Goose on the side of the road. Only to discover to my horror that she was waving because she was trying to get her babies across the highway. Too late! The scene was horrific and I cried for the next hour. I think I became a murderer on this trip. I’m not sure, I did swerve far enough away from her that I think the remaining babies were well past my tires but I still feel horrible. And the carnage on the road was something I wish I could erase from my poor brain.

Well, several tears later we arrived in Chicago. Had a lovely dinner at Steak and Shake and crashed for the night.

Up early and over to the Field Museum to see King Tut. It was freak’n awesome. Hats off to the museum for a fabulous exhibit. Seriously, if you have the chance to see it either in Chicago or elsewhere in the states do so. And of course I picked up the cheesiest thing for sale in the gift shop. Yes, a King Tut bobble head!

After seeing the boy king we got the dogs and walked around the paths along Lake Michigan. It was a perfect day. A little chilly but bright blue sky’s. And the dogs had so much fun. Sophie discovered that waves scare her. I wish I could have captured on film the leap up and sideways she did to get away from the water. We were all doubled over laughing.

The drive home was far less eventful. Thankfully.

After we got home I rushed off to partake in the R&D project at work. We wanted to show off the products/process of a resent acquisition. And let’s just say we didn’t have the work done till 3:30 this morning. And I was back to work at 8. I’m barely human.
But life goes on.

And I had to record 24. I can’t wait to get home tonight!

3 comments:

Tink said...

Poor baby geese! It's not your fault though. These things happen.

I love the King Tut bobble head! I went to the traveling Tut exhibit in Daytona recently. I was really disappointed that there were no mummies for viewing.

Newt said...

You're right Tink, no mummies but they did this cool x-ray peel. Using images that changed layer by layer it gave the feeling that the sarcophagus was in the room. And the Field has a pretty big collection of Egyptian mummies on permanent exhibit. So if you don't get your fill you can go to the Egypt room.
I read in Archaeology magazine that the museum in Cairo wouldn't let a lot of the objects out of the country. Compared to what was on tour 25 years ago. But what they did add to this tour was the other tomb finds of Tut's ancestors.

Unknown said...

I didn't watch 24 till 6am this morning :p

I had my own morbid accidental murder of a small animal..I know your pain.