Wednesday, May 17, 2006

To Rant or Not to Rant that is the Question

I am not a speak think person. But I am a write think person. I tend to hold off and ponder something before I verbalize my thoughts and feelings. For the most part mind you. But when something irks me I will almost instantly type up a blog entry. Because I am the worlds worst speller I type first in Word and then cut and paste to my blog. I know the blog has spell check but I prefer the immediate gratification that Word provides. So, I have a few dozen rants and a few more toned down versions of those rants, and then some very small rants sitting in a file that I have never posted. This works for a couple of reasons. For one, I wanted my blog to be about life, the universe, and everything. I did not want it to be about politics. Even if that could theoretically fall within the everything category.
Secondly by the time I type through my rant and re-read it I have cooled down. Thus the creation of toned down versions. And if I hold off to post till the next day I find that the issue no longer matters to me. And that I would prefer to tell you about the pups or about the good book I am reading.
I’ve always tried to live by the “Count to 10” method of anger management. When I am upset about something it’s better to take a walk, work in the garden, listen to the Ipod, read a book, and in general to cool down. Because after the steaming period usually comes a little resolution. And inevitably during that cool down period the important things in life creep back in. And what upset me a while back just isn’t important anymore. How can I stay mad about Commander Coo-Coo Bananas latest fubar when I have the worlds cutest pup sitting in my lap? Change my focus, change my attitude.

So I got to thinking about what my blogging is all about. And two bloggers came to mind:

I was reading Tink’s entry about the dog sitting problem. And Tink was worried about even blogging about it because it was a sad and angry post rather than the normal dose of Tink. And Lone Sophist debated posting about a health scare. These posts are about life. And you NEED to blog about them. Blogging about these kinds of things helps us to realize how small the universe is. And comments from other readers will show you that you aren’t alone. That you have friends that will be there to support you, encourage you, and give you some advice. I have met wonderful people, heard fabulous stories, and felt a little more connected to this big world through blogging. Though I have chosen to not get overly political in my blogs I have read some that are political and I love them. Through blogging I have gotten some recipes, some books to read, music to listen to, places to see, things to do, and the list goes on. For me, blogging IS about Life, the Universe and Everything. It’s a fun place to hang out, a fun place to put my thoughts, and a fun place to read others. Good, bad, sad, happy, glad, or indifferent. I blog because I love it. Content doesn’t really always matter. And my day is a little bit better, a little bit brighter because I get to share it with you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love blogging for the same reasons. I love blogs like yours that aren't screaming and hollering..being a type "A" I need blogs like yours to read.

I do two blogs..one about life and one about politics..I like keeping them separate..and so do the folks that read them I have found.

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I'm really curious about the contents of the full-blown, screaming your head off Rant file. I have a feeling that would make for GREAT reading. :)

Tink said...

Amen to that! I WAS doubtful about posting yesterday. But the amount of encouragement and advice I got was so amazingly uplifting that I don't think I'll worry about posting things like that again.

BTW: Thank you Newt. For being you.

Trish said...

Actually, I tend to rant, that must be why Dusty doesn't like me, hahaha. I ranted more on my previous blog, so I'm very hesitant and think too much before I publish anything. I totally understand the need to "cool down" your anger before posting, because it got me into a lot of trouble on my previous blog when my rants were used in my custody trial. Not pretty! I love your blog, your posts are well written and always make me think because I feel like I can identify with your writing. (Sorry for writing a novel)