Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Random Wednesday

I'd like to dedicate this post to Tink who somehow knew my newest musical obsession months before I did.

Ode to Tink

Roses are Red
Daisy's are white
One moment reading Tink
Makes everything right

Here's to you Tink. You are adored more than you will ever know. And I want to thank you for all that you have brought into my life. You are so very far away but so very close in thought. And my life is better for having met you.

Thank You!

So, I'm done with the bad poetry. Honest. That will not win me any awards. But it was written from the heart.
I also would like to dedicate this post to Jo for her E award that she presented me. She said the darned nicest things about me and several other well deserving bloggers.
Jo has a style of writing that I am very drawn to. She says a great deal with very very few words. If she was an author I would be her most dedicated fan. She conveys an entire world of information with so few words I am always blown away as I read her posts. And don't even get me started on the excellence of her PFC stories.
And her photography. Recently she posted a picture of a tiny pig walking across a wood floor. I would actually buy that print and hang it in my house. Again, she captivates on film the same way she writes. Simplicity that speaks volumes.
And hopefully the next time I get sent to Sylmar CA we can hook up. I think DSW and dinner are calling...............

Anywhoodle...........

I started reading Life of Pi. I always hesitate to read the big much talked about books. Most of them disappoint me due to high expectations. It's not the books fault, it's unfortunately the hyped up media on the book that ultimately do it in for me. But the jury is still out on this one. I'm not very far into it. But so far I am a little wiser about Hinduism and Zoology.

And there is a great paragraph in the forward:

"If we, citizens, do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the altar of crude reality and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams."

I finished Count of Monte Cristo - 2nd time around. I read the abridged version originally so I re-read the full unabridged version. It's taken me several months because I just pick it up off and on but I figured I might as well just finish it up.

Fantastic line from the book:

"Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, -- `Wait and hope.'

Your friend,"Edmond Dantes, Count of Monte Cristo."


If you have never had the pleasure give the book a try. It's ok to read the abridged version. You'll still get the full story - just not all the little details. It's a fantastic read in either version. My favorite all time classic novel.

***

The hubster and I are looking at vacation property again. We do this every so often. But with the market where it is, and interest rates so low we figure it's a good time to grab our little piece of hide away heaven. Maybe someday......................................................

9 comments:

Jay said...

I don't think it's possible to say enough good things about Tink and Jo. They're both just so amazing!

I hated Life of Pi. But, maybe that's just me. ;-)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Oooh, today's shoes are both "cute" and "comfy" looking! What a great pair!

My BFF gave me what reads in the middle to be a good book. But, when I start at the beginning? There are too many characters to learn all at once.

I like to bring'em in/read'em in one at a time. Get to know'em first.

gary rith said...

me and the wife would be happy to spend time at your new vacation place, thanks! our requirements are fairly simple...
yes, today's shoes are totally cutesy
als, I read 'Life of Pi', and it is a bit of a ....slog....

J said...

I'm up for helping you break in your new vacation place. I'd even be willing to donate the beat up deck of cards and the board games from 1973 that every cabin needs.

R.E.H. said...

I couldn't agree with you more about Jo. Short, simple and powerful! Some of those pictures she takes are just amazing in their simplicity as they speak volumes at the same time!

Good luck with the dream getaway!

Nettie said...

I'm all about the vacation property which should provide some awesome GIRLS weekends!

Jo said...

You rendered me speechless for a few minutes...which is kind of miraculous & scary, right? That really touched me, Newt, thanks so much...it means a great deal to me that someone I think so highly of has such wonderful things to say about me :) And Jay & REH too! XOXO!

Tink is beautiful inside & out.

By all means, take the piggy print--it makes me happy that you like it. I think you can print it in the original, bigger size from my Flickr link?

Shoes & dinner definitely!

Christy said...

How sweet it is to be loved by you. I deem you a James Taylor groupie. =o)

Anonymous said...

for what it's worth, I was prepared to HATE The Life of Pi when I started reading it, but wound up loving it.

Sometimes a popular book is popular because it deserves it.